Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera roundandstickya

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent links Plantaholic. So it would appear that it is likely D. natalensis?

I've been growing it for almost two years now.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-11-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian, the seed you sent me was definitely fusiform, not ovoid. D. dielsiana seed should be ovoid according to the type descriptions. I recently obtained some seed from what is supposed to be the Mozambique D. dielsiana but it was fusiform also. Tamlin has been in contact with Dr. Gibson and may be able to add to the mystery.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Ian, the seed you sent me was definitely fusiform, not ovoid. D. dielsiana seed should be ovoid according to the type descriptions. I recently obtained some seed from what is supposed to be the Mozambique D. dielsiana but it was fusiform also. Tamlin has been in contact with Dr. Gibson and may be able to add to the mystery.
    You remember! No, it isn't ovid. Please let me know what comes of this!

Quote Originally Posted by CPlantaholic View Post
    SDCPs, here are 2 posts by NaN that were helpful to me: http://terraforums.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=10
    and http://terraforums.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=12
    The honeycomb seed diagnosis will work well for you, since you usually have plenty of seeds on hand .

It's from this thread:
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...ight=dielsiana

There are actually a lot of different D. natalensis forms that behave very differently.
    I traded 2 people for D. dielsiana, and they both turned out to be the same form of D. natalensis...
    But it can be a lot harder to judge, since it appeared like massmorrel's dielsiana was actually the real deal, since its crown/the back of the leaf lamina wasn't pillose.
    Ah ok. I've actually been trying to root out the other natalensis form. In this case I will leave it and be content with two genetically different sets of D. natalensis seedlings! So until I get further info from NaN, I will assume mine is D. natalensis, two clones.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-11-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's flowering! Does this help solidify an ID at all?

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

that plant is most likely D. natalensis. It looks like the form we know from cultivation, that is (wrongly) spread as D. dielsiana. As for D. dielsiana, it seems that it is not yet widely grown, though it seems to be in cultivation. I have grown many plants i got as D. dielsiana and they all turned out to be D. natalensis. I think, there is a lot of work needed to convince people from changing the species name on their plants! Everything, that has fusiform seeds as well as divided styles should not be called D. dielsiana! The flower has divided styles, so it is not D. dielsiana. I am almost sure, that the seeds are not egg shaped. How is the scape emerging? Straight or does it form a curve at the base of the plant?

Christian

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The scape curves from the base of the plant.

If it is natalensis than I will most definitely label it as such! Assuming that it is a self-fertile species, I will have some seeds soon.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received this plant as a D. dielsiana:

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this link in the CP Photo Database - labeled as D. dielsiana in situ (Braken Hill should be Bracken Hill?)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q..._dielsiana.jpg

You need flowers and seed for a more positive ID to compare against the type specimens.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast