Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mold on D. filiformis giant hibernacula

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Carmichael, Ca. I believe my plants are taking a hit from the fungi in question, because the area around the hibernacula turns from green to brown and rots the area in question out - I have gone through and cut out affected areas - the fungus/bacteria has a fuzzy, white color, but it does not spread like it does on the S. rubra. Days here lately have been unusually wet and the fog stays for most of the day - even things that are under cover are wet, so nothing dries out well. Also, I've noticed this happened before, when this particular plant bulked up like this. I'm afraid I'm a gonna bust out the Benomyl and hit that and all of the S. rubra as a precaution.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-03-2011 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - S. rubra does not end in an "s", plant names are plural and singular just as they come

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago I experienced a few problems with Sarracenia rhizomes suddenly turning to mush, but I've never seen anything like you and "Not a Number" have described with D. filiformis, not even when I was growing them outdoors in the Pacific Northwest. Though, most recently (past few decades), I usually unpot my D. filiformis hibernacula and store them in the refrigerator, in a ziploc bag with a little, barely moist, LFS.

I do remember that thirty years, or more, ago, I frequently used a product called benomyl or benlate, but, word was, a batch was contaminated with something that made it lethal for many plants it was used on, after that it went away.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it's mold? can you show us a picture? This species forms what looks like mold but it's what I would call stiplules. That may not be the right term for it, but seems to be normal.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the D. filiformis var filiformis "Florida Giant" (and others) often forms a fibrous cover over the hibernaculum. It looks like cotton candy or candy floss as the Brits call it.

D. filiformis var filiformis "Florida Giant" Breaking dormancy. You can see the fibers surrounding the leaves.

Funny you should mention it but my Sarracenia particularly my S. rubra and any hybrids with S. rubra in them were infected with a persistent white fuzz - different from what has done in my D. filiformis. I treated all my plants with Cleary's 3336 and it appears to have cleared it up. Maybe it's something regional to CA like San Joaquin Valley Fever which is caused by a fungus.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 02-03-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the funny thing, I'll try to get a picture of them - we're getting nuked today - I can't afford to take any more chances. The funny thing is that my hibernacula are all green ball-like nubs - leaves getting ready to emerge and they are clustered up tightly next to each other - there are 21 that I counted - I'm gonna have to wait to take a picture - they have moss growing around them- but not smothering them or on them for that matter and since I've cleaned all of the DEAD material from last season around them, all you see is GREEN with a few tiny white areas - and yes, I have not mastered the fine art of the upclose photo, I do believe given the big guns (benomyl and protection all the way around) will halt it - I've grown long enough to find out what's savable and what isn't -I'm not trying to sound arrogant, really. I've talked to some professional growers in the NorCal valley, and they have said that S. rubra and it's group are prone to die off from fugus in the winter time, and with no prior problems - I've got S. rubra subsp. rubra, S. rubra subsp. jonesii and S. rubra subsp. wherryi in sizeable clunps and last year for no reason, no warning I lost the whole strand of S. rubra subsp. jonesii, where the S. rubra subsp. rubra in the tub next to them were fine. I've replaced them since, but this particular plant does (hopefully) look saveable..the growths on there are firm and retaining their color, not getting mushy and turning pale green-yellow...I'm not saying it's in the bag, but I'm gonna try like hell to put it in there!

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

I just found a lonely bottle of Physan 20 next to the benomyl. Now the dilema is which one to use! Honestly, I know physan is a GREAT greenhouse disenfectant and I know some use it as a anti fungal spray, but I personally have never used it in that capacity, whereas benomyl I have, but I was really trying to avoid any systemic usage, but sometimes.....
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-03-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried Physan 20. Ineffective - it might clear it up for a week or two but it comes back even with repeated sprayings. Besides I think Physan is copper based. I think Jeff Dallas and Jacob Farin found copper based stuff to be fatal to some carnivorous plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides benomyl, the solution I used, back when I was in the Pacific Northwest, to protect my Sarracenia from rhizome rot, was to plant them in media composed of at least 40% shredded redwood, Sequoia sempervirens bark. I even planted some of them in 100% redwood bark with a topping of live Sphagnum and never had another issue with Sarracenia rhizome rot. BTW, benomyl killed any live Sphagnum it contacted.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not had a problem with rhizome rot, just that white fuzz on the pitcher tubes. Cleary's seems to have gotten rid of it finally.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast