What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

it's time for some hybrids

its going much better than expected. i got to pollinate three pods with the nidiformis pollen over the course of three days. theyre the fattest seed pods ive seen on a sundew. does anybody know if hybrid vigor starts so early? you can see two of the pods here next to some (much smaller) self-pollinated pods below them

1.jpg

and a close up

2.jpg

It could be the "selfed" bud did not pollinate or not all the ovary chambers were pollinated. Hand self-pollination sometimes yields bigger seed sets than letting the flower do the job on its own. When the sepals close the anthers may not be aligned with the stigma or the pollen may have been blown or shaken out without contacting the stigma.

i figured it was about time to do an update. the cross between the nidiformis and 'pretty rosette' worked like a charm. its pretty average looking though...

i sowed the seeds in may. here they are now:

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Millipede, are you still looking for capensis broad leaf? PM me if you are.

That's a big ol pot of dews LOL. Good job. :)

Also, I have a HUUGGEE Broadleaf capensis flower stalk that's almost finished flowering.. I will have like.. a TABLESPOON or more of seed, if you would like some..

Congratulations, looks like you created Drosera spatulata.

hahaha thanks :-D

my next hybrid i hope to do is madagascariensis X capensis. the flowers on my madagascar keep getting fried by the lights though

i love them both the way they are but im hoping i can get the best of both that way. huge leaves, huge stem, fast growing, not picky about conditions.. basicly just want a really really BEEFY sundew

Be interesting to see if they hybrids are fertile. Could well be as most RSA Drosera have a 2n=40.

theyre flowering right now and have some pods almost ready to harvest. we'll find out in the next few weeks....

Back