What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower power

[MENTION=5343]Not a Number[/MENTION] could you please tell me what media you use for this species and in what humidity they are grown in? I am always struggling with mine. Thanks!

They are grown outdoors so ambient humidity, probably not less than ~40 most of the time, jumping up to ~80% in sometimes early mornings.
50-50 peat/sand or peat/perlite works fine. Tall pots (minimum 6" tall) and they dew up more consistently.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I find it interesting that the flower stalk of that sundew has dew on it. Very interesting.

It's not really an uncommon thing. Dew-producing glands on the flower stalks can be seen in natalensis, brevifolia, some spatulata forms, tokaiensis etc.

It's not really an uncommon thing. Dew-producing glands on the flower stalks can be seen in natalensis, brevifolia, some spatulata forms, tokaiensis etc.
Well, it's still cool.

D. hamiltonii - They're almost here - by Saturday. Both clones at nearly the same time.

IMGP2250_zps1alcecoc.jpg

IMGP2249_zps5p2vgggz.jpg

:woot: A first for me - D. slackii - the right combination of weather or perhaps the Flower Faerie got tired of all the D. venusta.
IMGP2246_zpsflqfx9at.jpg

Drosera adelae
WUIw2VH.jpg

Drosera scorpioides
ofXRh2g.jpg

Drosera riparia
t1VEWCd.jpg

D. helodes
IMGP2255_zpswnyfgrkt.jpg

IMGP2256_zpstblwdbqk.jpg

On the d. helodes which weighs more, the flower stalk or the sundew itself? Dumb question, I know, but I'm curious.

Last edited:
D. hamiltonii - been flowering the last week
IMGP2284_zpsaaz9g10w.jpg

Ok, these are some INSANELY long flower stalks. :0o:

Last edited:
Woooohhh. D. hamiltonii flowers are awesome.

Ok, these are some INSANELY long flower stalks. :0o:

Some plants are just ridiculous; I have several hybrids that have rosettes 3" across, but the inflorescences are nearly always exceeding 18" to 2 feet. The Australian species seem to be especially nutty, no surprise this beauty is the same way :)

Oh my, do those look good!

D. slackii - one of these months the flowers will open. Compare to the photo I posted just over a month ago (see above). Drosera slowii?
IMGP2531_zpspxbrqxjn.jpg

I missed the flower open but still something unique. D. tokaiensis - man-made, white flower hexaploid (fertile)
IMGP2524_zpsjgfegnu2.jpg

IMGP2526_zpscwhjqzan.jpg

Finally there is Drosera slackii!

IMGP2578_zpsx1fpm2z1.jpg

IMGP2579_zpsyeftsubm.jpg

IMGP2580_zpsypxuqegg.jpg

IMGP2589_zpsrdrd2xsb.jpg

IMGP2594_zpsceydn7s7.jpg

IMGP2600_zpsyqzdm8s3.jpg

Drosera brevifolia Hampstead, NC

IMGP2617_zpsqxeubxto.jpg

IMGP2611_1_zpsbe7tqlmt.jpg

Last edited:
I love how not only brevifolia flowers are huge compared to the plant, but the entire inflorescence has those huge glands (great trait that passes readily into its hybrids).

Drosera callistos
IMGP3958_zpsqvdbezgl.jpg

This year's D. hamiltonii
IMGP4024_zpslaspamti.jpg

IMGP4014_zpslsbm2m2t.jpg

IMGP3998_zpszxvwpcmq.jpg

IMGP3995_zpslc4yyzca.jpg

Back