What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower power

I'm always in school! It's been TORTURE. My d. hamiltonii colony is dewy all year, beautiful red, and flowering. But I miss it every time. I'm never there to document the flower or to see it full bloom. Closes by time I get home :( Flower opens every two days. Maybe this weekend. They are HUGE though. Love em!

Animation awesome.

The saving grace is the flowers stay fully open for several hours and open about every two or three days. Mine are about fully open shortly after 10am.

The second flower had an extra anther and two extra petals. I pollinated with old pollen as well as new.

If you have several open at the same time you might try cross pollinating even though they are probably all clones of the same plant.

How large are the rosettes of you plants?

Last edited:
The biggest is slightly over an inch. I think the conditions are tougher for them where I keep them. I started off with 3 or 4, and I have 4, 1 big one and 3 smaller ones. They're not really growing much, but they're dewy all year :p

The biggest one is about and inch and a half in diameter.

Let us know if you get seed!

This is actually the first year I've seen them (biggest plant) bloom. OK fine. I lied. I was sick recently and I saw ONE flower. Really big and pink. But every time I try to get it with a camera...well...and I haven't seen one after my first glimpse.

Man-made Drosera × tokaiensis (sterile) - I've yet to see the white flowers (apparently white flower don't exist in nature for these) open. That's a characteristic of the D. spatulata var. gympiensis parent. I just missed the pink flower fully open by about 20 minutes. I took a few hand held shots and decided I needed to set up the tripod. It was closed by the time I was ready.
IMGP7667.jpg

IMGP7665.jpg

D. allantostigma - these just flower all summer long, quite pleasant.
IMGP7684copy.jpg

IMGP7679copy.jpg

Drosera capensis 'Albino' × aliciae

IMGP7918copy.jpg

IMGP7925.jpg

IMGP7920copy.jpg

IMGP7915copy.jpg

Drosera madagascarensis Presqu'ile de Masoala, Madagascar
IMGP8179copy.jpg

IMGP8180copy.jpg

IMGP8181copy.jpg

oooohh! i was in the Masoala peninsula a few years ago. Wish i had known to look around for these.

IMGP8559copy.jpg

IMGP8574copy.jpg

Drosera aberrans

Last edited:
Closing drosera capensis typical flowers.
CA9496CB.jpg

Drosera dichrosepala
IMGP3347.jpg:original

IMGP3340.jpg:original

IMGP3338.jpg:original

This year's D. trinervia - probably won't be ripe in time for the NASC auction however
IMGP3322copy.jpg:original

IMGP3321copy.jpg:original

IMGP3315copy.jpg:original

IMGP3311copy.jpg:original

The presumed hybrid D. ultramafica × spatulata. Trying to catch these open is a Fool's Errand.
IMGP3071.jpg:original

IMGP3067.jpg:original

IMGP3064.jpg:original

Last edited:
D. cistiflora
IMGP3690copy.jpg

fantastic NAN how long do they last,and how large,how old before flower,sorry but love this species

Scale is in inches. The flower has been open four or five hours now.

IMGP3663copy.jpg:original

thanks for your reply NAN how old was your plant before it flowered ,sorry for so many questions but i find them fascinating

So, they're pink! Very nice indeed.

^^ Such a gorgeous photograph. The color, the clarity...

That's gorgeous! I can't wait for mine to bloom.

fantastic NAN how long do they last,and how large,how old before flower,sorry but love this species

I got some dormant roots from another grower early last summer. From the way the seedlings I have are growing I wouldn't expect flowers until the 2nd or 3rd years. Depends much on you conditions and how well fed the plants are.

D. helodes
IMGP3698copy.jpg

D. scorpioides pink flower - color doesn't really show in these photos. Yes, I saw the aphids, they've been taken care of.
IMGP3701copy.jpg

IMGP3693copy.jpg

IMGP3572copy.jpg

white flower
IMGP3696copy.jpg

Back