What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

capensis care

my seedlings that are fed are doing well.. they seem to eat faster than the adults!!!! And they are dewing like crazy. I am keeping them well fed with beta pellet powder

Try to move them - The Capensis, to higher light, then you'll see them take off. ^^

Ehhh... I just checked them this weekend and most of them somehow dried up... Even though the LFS is still as moist as ever. I checked them a week ago prior to that and they seemed ok. This was D. capensis green. Replanted six or so seedlings into peat:sand mix and hoping they will like it better.

I have D. capensis seedlings in peat:sand mix in another tray, that I setup later and they seem to be doing much better. Dunno what is going on here.

Ehhh... I just checked them this weekend and most of them somehow dried up... Even though the LFS is still as moist as ever. I checked them a week ago prior to that and they seemed ok. This was D. capensis green. Replanted six or so seedlings into peat:sand mix and hoping they will like it better.

I have D. capensis seedlings in peat:sand mix in another tray, that I setup later and they seem to be doing much better. Dunno what is going on here.

Did you change its growing conditions? I recall you stated earlier that you fed them, how did you feed them exactly? If you are using artificial food like fish pellets and don't control the amount you give them, it can do more harm than good. Dry fish pellets also take a lot more effort for the plants as they have to use up their dew to first get the pellets moist before drawing out the nutrients.

What I do is crush the betta pellets and mix with some water. I use a sewing needle as a spoon of sorts and scoop up the food in the needle's threading hole and brush it onto the dew threads. This method seems to allow most of my sundews to completely consume the food in a few days and reset for more.

FWIW, the capensis I feed are probably 10 times the size of the ones from the same seedling batch that I have not. I also grow my capensis much more on the wet side as they have done best with those conditions, however, I keep all my dews on the slightly lower humidity side so YMMV.

Did you change its growing conditions? I recall you stated earlier that you fed them, how did you feed them exactly? If you are using artificial food like fish pellets and don't control the amount you give them, it can do more harm than good. Dry fish pellets also take a lot more effort for the plants as they have to use up their dew to first get the pellets moist before drawing out the nutrients.

What I do is crush the betta pellets and mix with some water. I use a sewing needle as a spoon of sorts and scoop up the food in the needle's threading hole and brush it onto the dew threads. This method seems to allow most of my sundews to completely consume the food in a few days and reset for more.

FWIW, the capensis I feed are probably 10 times the size of the ones from the same seedling batch that I have not. I also grow my capensis much more on the wet side as they have done best with those conditions, however, I keep all my dews on the slightly lower humidity side so YMMV.

I powdered the pellets in the mortar, put the tip of the tweezers into the powder (that results in a fine coating of the tips with the powder) and carefully touch one leave of the seedling with it. Then mist the seedlings with the sprayer.

I fed only a few of the seedlings from the whole bunch to see if that will boost their growth comparing to others. Well the deaths were pretty much random, those I fed and those I didn't were affected.

Growing conditions were not changed, and they LFS substrate remained very moist.

I don't typically mist my sundews so I can't comment on whether that caused issues or not, though I would think it isn't necessary.

I don't typically mist my sundews so I can't comment on whether that caused issues or not, though I would think it isn't necessary.

Heh well I've been having issues with other plants lately. Something tells me there is perhaps something wrong with my growing conditions.

so now my plant has flowered but after a few flowers it quit flowering and wont start again what should i do for it i doi water it but that does not help at all. and i know it cant be to wet beacuse it is not a very wet pot but i check it every day

are you asking how to keep the d. capensis constantly flowering non-stop? flowers take up a lot of a plant's energy. you should just let it rest and flower when its ready. trying to force it to flower non-stop will probably kill the plant. just my 2 cents.. i could be wrong.

should i put it in my terrarium or spay it more or anything i can do to help it

if it flowered for you, its probably growing well where it is. i don't really spray mine, and they have acclimated well to the avg humidity i give all my sundews. i'd say if they have been growing well for you with regards to size and their color, then just continue on. why change it all up all of a sudden just because it flowered? unless you are adjusting for seasonal changes, i'd say continue on as is unless you feel you are truly doing something that is harming the plant.

Why bother? It's D. capensis... one of the many bomb-proof CPs. ;) Leave the poor thing alone, it will adjust.

Capensis care.......they need care?.....huh..I just stick mine in a west window and throw water at it when it gets dry. :lol:

haha. yeah. the less i do to it, the more it grows apparently. if i didn't have to refill the water in the tray, i might just forget i even have it :lol:

thanks for the info everyone

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

and exo should i change the name of the post

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

well i cantt change the name of a post so well you will have to be ok with that name for now exo

Ok I really have no idea what is going on. The seedlings grew to about 4 mm in diameter and stopped growing. Instead they are withering away. The are in 50:50 sand:peat mix in the tray with water (pot is 2.5 inches tall, water level is about half an inch) with saran wrap covering the tray. What am I doing wrong?

I took the pot out and instead put it in an open tray. Pictures in the morning.

with my seedlings, the growth was fairly slow when they were kept unfed. feed them a little something if you can and see what it looks like in a week.

as for the withering away, not sure. too much humidity perhaps? i don't keep the saran on after the traps have opened.

lso i just noticed that afew flowers wre skipped because now one flower is opening but some before it did not

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

why did this happen, will they open or not ?

I know cape sundews have a rep for being easy growing but they're actually quite difficult to grow outdoors in south Florida.

Temps of 85F and unfiltered sunlight is a death sentence for these plants IME.

and today one flower opened but the plant skipped over around 10 buds why !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back