0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem with D. capensis. I am collecting seed now. I put a small bag (paper) over the flower stalk to collect the seeds.
    I hope this method works.
    Here is my Grow List

Also, I post videos on Youtube

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thaks what im trying i hope it works

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    I always read that capensis are the easiest to germinate and grow and yet I have a tray with capensis and omissa pink seeds in LFS substrate and even though capensis germinated faster than omissa pink, omissa seedlings have shown more growth.

My capensis seedlings have pretty much stayed the same size for a while... Tried to feed a few seedlings and did not notice any improvement...
    Try to move them - The Capensis, to higher light, then you'll see them take off. ^^

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my seedlings that are fed are doing well.. they seem to eat faster than the adults!!!! And they are dewing like crazy. I am keeping them well fed with beta pellet powder

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halt View Post
    Try to move them - The Capensis, to higher light, then you'll see them take off. ^^
    Ehhh... I just checked them this weekend and most of them somehow dried up... Even though the LFS is still as moist as ever. I checked them a week ago prior to that and they seemed ok. This was D. capensis green. Replanted six or so seedlings into peat:sand mix and hoping they will like it better.

I have D. capensis seedlings in peat:sand mix in another tray, that I setup later and they seem to be doing much better. Dunno what is going on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Ehhh... I just checked them this weekend and most of them somehow dried up... Even though the LFS is still as moist as ever. I checked them a week ago prior to that and they seemed ok. This was D. capensis green. Replanted six or so seedlings into peat:sand mix and hoping they will like it better.

I have D. capensis seedlings in peat:sand mix in another tray, that I setup later and they seem to be doing much better. Dunno what is going on here.
    Did you change its growing conditions? I recall you stated earlier that you fed them, how did you feed them exactly? If you are using artificial food like fish pellets and don't control the amount you give them, it can do more harm than good. Dry fish pellets also take a lot more effort for the plants as they have to use up their dew to first get the pellets moist before drawing out the nutrients.

What I do is crush the betta pellets and mix with some water. I use a sewing needle as a spoon of sorts and scoop up the food in the needle's threading hole and brush it onto the dew threads. This method seems to allow most of my sundews to completely consume the food in a few days and reset for more.

FWIW, the capensis I feed are probably 10 times the size of the ones from the same seedling batch that I have not. I also grow my capensis much more on the wet side as they have done best with those conditions, however, I keep all my dews on the slightly lower humidity side so YMMV.
    --------
    z

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zlookup View Post
    Did you change its growing conditions? I recall you stated earlier that you fed them, how did you feed them exactly? If you are using artificial food like fish pellets and don't control the amount you give them, it can do more harm than good. Dry fish pellets also take a lot more effort for the plants as they have to use up their dew to first get the pellets moist before drawing out the nutrients.

What I do is crush the betta pellets and mix with some water. I use a sewing needle as a spoon of sorts and scoop up the food in the needle's threading hole and brush it onto the dew threads. This method seems to allow most of my sundews to completely consume the food in a few days and reset for more.

FWIW, the capensis I feed are probably 10 times the size of the ones from the same seedling batch that I have not. I also grow my capensis much more on the wet side as they have done best with those conditions, however, I keep all my dews on the slightly lower humidity side so YMMV.
    I powdered the pellets in the mortar, put the tip of the tweezers into the powder (that results in a fine coating of the tips with the powder) and carefully touch one leave of the seedling with it. Then mist the seedlings with the sprayer.

I fed only a few of the seedlings from the whole bunch to see if that will boost their growth comparing to others. Well the deaths were pretty much random, those I fed and those I didn't were affected.

Growing conditions were not changed, and they LFS substrate remained very moist.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast