Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D. graomogolensis

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend. JMatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av8tor1, I owe it all to you dude!
    I can't thank you enough! Such an awesome sundew!
    Three of them did send up flower spikes, but aborted.
    Not sure why? They got to about 5 inches tall and just sat there for months?
    Maybe next time.
    JMatt

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine did the same thing.... must be missing some needed nutrient

mine almost opened...almost, i could just bearly see the pinkish color of the petals, but it never went any further

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. villosa looks a bit like D. capensis.

I don't know what their upper heat tolerence is, but as long as they get a good temperature drop at night I think they are happy. I wouldn't expose them to temperatures below the high 40sF either. I'll run some tests with some of my clones since I have plenty (until I give or trade them away).

My D. roraimae flowers would always abort. I don't know what they want to be happy. Doesn't matter since the plants croaked.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NaN: hrm..... at what temps are you growing/did you grow D. roraimae in? the fact that it dies on you puzzles me, since it was the most plentiful Drosera represented during my trip. from what i could tell, it didnt have that many demands as it would grow in mud/peat, as well in moss and lithophytically, and sometimes even epiphytically! maybe solid highland conditions are necessary? high humidity? could you provide more information?

sorry for going off tangent!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    @NaN: hrm..... at what temps are you growing/did you grow D. roraimae in? the fact that it dies on you puzzles me, since it was the most plentiful Drosera represented during my trip. from what i could tell, it didnt have that many demands as it would grow in mud/peat, as well in moss and lithophytically, and sometimes even epiphytically! maybe solid highland conditions are necessary? high humidity? could you provide more information?

sorry for going off tangent!
    And amphirion, if you recall, it was growing all over the lowland as well (constant 80+ there) though really looked the best on the top of Roraima.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you mean the brochinnia site? yeah....but not as many, i think D. felix dominated the LL areas....especially that first site.

and hey...dont you have pictures to post?
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't seem to like it if the temperatures dropped below 46F. I left them out a little too long in the fall. My D. villosa got hit by the same cold snap and has been struggling since. Spot and Stewart said the temperatures on some of the tepuis can go from the low 100s in the day to the 30s F at night. The temperatures on Gran Sabana are a bit more constant though.

I had plants labeled as D. roraimae, D. roraimae "Gran Sabana", and D. roraimae "Cero Adaua" small rosettes. The "Cero Adaua" was more cold tolerant than the others (makes sense if from a tepui). D. graminifolia doesn't mind temperatures in the high 30sF at all.

That's why I caution not to expose your D. graomogolensis to anything lower than high 40sF until I find out what they will tolerate.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's really amazing that while they are all the same species, each population has their own set of preferences! shows how important location data for plants really is! almost the same thing with varying nephrophylla and humboldtii clones!
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast