Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird Drosera nidiformis "behavior"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    They are pretty much annuals anyway which decline after setting seed.

This is the most invasive species around, far worse than D. capensis.
    most of the sundews that seed are weeds for me however, this one is bad. I have it all over the greenhouse now

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/see...nidiformis.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephs too? (breathing a sigh of relief that my Cephs are separated)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way D. nidiformis spreads they won't be separated for long.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, they'd have to jump the terrarium, walk across the room and into another, and climg up into a garden window to get at my Cephs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe they might just find a way (but you should be pretty safe)

well just to throw in my 2 cents (granted it doesn't seem to apply to your problem, KDoods), i've been lucky enough to grow a few D. nidiformis long-term for 3 years now (under lights) with several plants never dying on me. However, i did have some problems when i grew mine under a shorter 9-10 hour photoperiod and gave it a bit too much water. They seemed to experience the fungus issue, but once I cut back on watering, increased the photoperiod, and gave them a better-draining mix (about 2 peat: 3 sand, packed down), they never had any further problems.

Not sure what your pot size is, but i use a 4-inch pot. Assuming you're using something similar. Also, I did see another grower with the fungal-related issue on his Nidiformis when he had it under bright light intensity, but forgot to water it a few times (was not dessicated though). Otherwise, your conditions sound great- possibly just a bit more humidity than mine get, by about 20%...

To be honest, I've neglected mine as they rarely get fed (maybe once every 3 months) while I'm away at school. So they generally only keep about 4-5 large leaves going at a time. Then when i get a chance to feed them, they go crazy, flower and then go back into the slow growing stage til i feed them again...

Anyway, enough yapping for me. I might as well post a few pictures after rambling on so long...

Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's what mine looked like... before the Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Humidity and moisture, eh? Thing is, the other Drosera (spatulata, capensis, binata) in the terarium seem to prefer it a little more humid/wet than the nidiformis did/does. IOW, the nid was quite happy quite dry, dewing up nicely under 50% humidity where the others looked a little dry and barely dewed until I brought it up to 60-80%. Ah well, there'll be no catering to the lowest common denominator here, survival of the fittest and all. If I get seed, maybe I'll try growing in a separate container.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12