Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Drosera nidiformis "behavior"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird Drosera nidiformis "behavior"

This is a smaller, single plant. It's got six leaves, ATM, and a flower spike coming up. When received it was bright green, whitish tentacles, red tips. Through no fault of my own, this plant caught fungus gnats (multiple) on every leaf. It then sent out a flower spike and started turning reddish-pinkish-brownish, including all leaves, tentacles, and spike. Now, it's not producing dew, but the leaves aren't dying and the flower spike is still rising and uncoiling. It's being lit by T5HOs 16 hours per day. Day: 80F, 65-70% humidity. Night: 70F, 75-80% humidity. Does this sound normal for this species?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfortunately yes. this species of drosera harbors a endosymbiotic fungus...for reasons unknown, the fungus goes crazy and takes over, turning the plant bright red and lose all its dew. not many people can keep this plant long term. the only way to keep this plant in continuous cultivation is to make seed and plant those. but the fun doesnt stop there....as hinted, the fungus already lives in the seed, and will make its debut when the plant is fully grown.

you should give it a lower cooldown, perhaps 60F if you can...that could slow down the rate of the fungus.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of cool actually... I mean, we're not talking about a multi-hundred dollar Nepenthes here, right? The biological aspect of what you've just explained is very cool and very worth sharing with my daughter, who loves to hear about these kinds of things. So, the plant, it's still alive, just "body snatchered" at the moment, right? Then, the flower will still bloom? Can be selfed? I'll just keep seeding if that's the case, super cool to watch once you know what's happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes. the seeds can be selfed...usually when the plant turns red like that, the fungus is taking over....the plant's health will continually decline. but the plant will carry out processes such as flowering and growing leaves---however, the leaves will get smaller and smaller.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are pretty much annuals anyway which decline after setting seed.

This is the most invasive species around, far worse than D. capensis.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    This is the most invasive species around, far worse than D. capensis.
    LOL! I think that D. natalensis is worse!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fine by me. I'm wondering if the fungus takes a part in KEEPING this species an "annual"? Has anyone ever succeeded in obatining a "fungus free" specimen? Or eradicating the fungus altogether by some method? It would be interesting to see whether or not the decline is related to the fungus or not, for sure. Are any of the other Drosera in my terrarium in danger, or is this an obligate "parasite"? What about other genuses? I've Dionaea, Ultric, Ping, and Sarr as well in the terrarium, none in pots, all planted in soil. No other plants are showing any signs of any problems, currently. IOW, this is cool, for one plant, but not if it kills and contaminates an entire terrarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont know if it's specific strain that plauges nidiformis. that being said, i've had experience with a similar fungus attacking my D. graomogolensis, and i hear that it plagues D. falconeri---same symptoms, but not necessarily the same strain or type of fungus.

and come to think of it, same thing can happen to Heliamphora, Darlingtonia and Cephalotus if i recall correctly.
    Last edited by amphirion; 05-16-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast