What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gibberellic acid on leaf cuttings

• Thread starter Millipede
  • Start date
Hey Millipede,
Haven't tried it myself.. but i don't think that it would really help anything, since the leaves are already optimized with the appropriate gibberellin ratios and adding more may actually make it grow more slowly unless it was at a very very low conc. and wouldn't be doing much anyway. But it's always fun to experiment with stuff like that to see if the books are actually correct ;) so you'd might as well give it a shot.

hmm so how would it work if the leaves were already making new plants?

im wanting something that will stimulate the formation of these new plantlets on the leaf. he also sells some weird stuff called Benzylaminopurine. heres what he says about it:

""""This hormone will cause the growth of new stems and branches making a bushier plant. It works very nicely when mixed with ga3 and IAA. Being a cytokinin, it functions better if not properly in the presence of an auxin such as Indole Acetic Acid. Mixing all three hormones makes a very powerful growth tonic!
Its most impressive quality is that it causes many many new branches and buds to grow with out pruning. Grow thicker fuller plants!""""

Last edited:
Well, it would probably only speed up the growth slightly, if any at all, and the plantlets may be a bit more etiolated unless you're providing a ton of light (aka i don't know :D)
But basically the best way to stimulate the formation of new plantlets on a leaf is to take new to semi-old leaves and provide them with as much light as possible (heat around 75-90 in the day seems to help, too). Fluorescent tubes have worked quite well for me, but windowsills can provide great conditions if you can find a good location.

But basically, following the above and then feeding the plantlets once they're dewed up and ready to eat will allow you to jam-pack the leaves without needing to spend money on additional hormones/chemicals.

Here's an example with a fairly new leaf (any more crowded, and plantlets will just end up dying unless carefully divided):
Grao_leaf_cutting-5-7-10_large.JPG

Back