What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Capensis Seperation

A little while ago I bought a Drosera Capensis Alba off the web, it came well wrapped and after couple of days started producing dew nicely. However, it seems to have a lot of growth points and there may even be more than one plant in the pot, as a result it is a bit of a tangled mass and new leaves are being blocked. I would like to seperate the various growth points/plants and I'm wondering if there is any favoured method? I know capensis are hardy but I still feel like I should be informed before I begin butchering it! Thanks for any advice :D

I bought a plant like that from a garden centre this winter. I think D. capensis only has 1 growth point per plant- so you probably just have tons in one pot.

When I did mine, I just un-potted, washed away/soaked as much peat as possible away from the roots. I then carefully teased each plant away from each-other. This is one hell of a job- as the roots tangle together so much.
It's a mammoth job to do, and all in all took me around 2 hours or more to wash, divide and re-pot so many plants. I ended up with around 25 plants from one pot.

If I were to do this job again, I would advise doing it early in the day, so that you have a bit of time to recuperate and don't do it into the small hours of the night. Also, give yourself plenty of room to do it, and be prepared for it to be messy.

Ooh, thats very helpful thanks! I've been looking for something to do with my sunday ^^

I grew about 200 of them in a single pot.. once they started battling for life, I turned the pot upside down, sliding the media out slowly. Then carefully broke the peat apart in my hands. The plantlets will start to separate into smaller and smaller clumps. At which point you can just divide them into individual plant sections. It's really easy..

Ah ok theres only about five or so in my pot so it shouldn't be any trouble, thanks!

Split it today, got about 12 plants from it... Not bad for £5 ^^

i recently bought a pot of about 25-30 plants when should i spit them .....all but 1 are tini

Back