D. Regia Leaf Cutting
Thought I would post this since I have had a fairly hard time finding much on the subject (with exception to Joseph C's D. Regia 'Big Easy' ). Please do add to this thread if anyone else has had some success with this. I would love to read about other people's experience on this.
About a month ago, I received some D. Regia (typical) leaf cuttings from mass. Thanks to our great postal service, I received quite the lovely squashed mess. Luckily, Travis had sent enough cuttings that 1 pulled through unscathed (well, for the most part).
I had done a lot of reading on the matter, realized it was probably a long shot that it would make it. Given the small bit of living leaf I had left, I was a bit less optimistic as well, but I gave it a shot and hoped for the best. This isn't the typical way I root cuttings, but for D. Regia, it seemed appropriate and has shown some success.
My optimism grew after I realized that the living portions were not rotting away after a few days. After a few weeks, I pretty much had it set in my mind that I had made it over the hump and that my chances of success would be much higher than I ever imagined.
The following pictures show the cutting as it was and as it currently is. Since the last picture was taken, the cuttings have formed many more plantlets. Onto the next challenge... growing it to maturity. Here's hoping some of them will make it at least.
Taken near the start:
Taken last week:
Last edited by zlookup; 07-19-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Reason: additional text
Hey congrats! I tried some root cuttings a while back but didn't get any strikes. I let the pot dry out.... well my plant sitter did.
Hey alright! Congrats man.. glad you were able to salvage something from the wreckage.
challenge the known and embrace the unknown. Most people would have said that unless you had D. regia 'Big Easy' leaf cuttings would not work. But then you might have Big Easy just don't know Might be a good idea for me to try with the two supposedly different forms I have and see if it works the same.
What sort of conditions in terms of temp? Assuming LFS kept moist in baggie or wrapped up in plastic wrap?
75 to 80F daytime, 60 to 70 nighttime. 16 hrs of light kept at about a foot away. The LFS is kept waterlogged; no drainage holes were made in the cup for this reason. Saran wrap covers the top of the cup with holes poked in it. Saran is uncovered every few days and misted lightly before recovering.
Good luck. I would love to hear of other success stories with this . If these guys reach maturity for me, I hope to be able to do a few more leaf cuttings and experiment with some variables to my setup.
These were cuttings from my typical. No Big Easy anything here.
Originally Posted by kulamauiman
I think I will try this using Ron's test tube method. I just so happen to have one of Ron's test tubes laying around with plantlets inside that are ready to be potted up.
I'm using the water method.. testing my luck.
I was hoping this thread would encourage more people to try to do leaf cuttings of D. Regia. Looks like I might have succeeded . Please update this thread with your results. Good luck to everyone.
---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------
and wanted to add another thanks to Travis for providing me with the cuttings.
root cuttings on d regia are much easier