What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. schizandra

I love this species.. Show em' if you got em'!

IMG_6866.jpg

IMG_6865.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

Do they curl around prey or exhibit any kind of movement?

Show em' if you got em'!

OK, just because you asked...

Drosera schizandra in the sun:
Drosera_schizandra_sun.jpg

Drosera schizandra in the shade:
Drosera_schizandra_shade.jpg

I always wanted to take a photo, but lazy as I am I waited for your invitation to take the pot out of my cultivation vitrine into some daylight for taking a photo.

My remnant colonies are doing their annual summer suffering next to a masonry wall in my basement. We'll see how many make it this year ... ???

wow where did you get that plant
how big is that pot?

wow where did you get that plant

I purchased a pot from a private grower over the Internet here in Germany who wanted to give up his carnivorous plants hobby. The pot was filled with ugly looking sphagnum, with some remains of D. schizandra and some living pill bugs in it. I transplanted the remains of D. schizandra into a new pot with new substrate and living sphagnum on top, gave the plantlets a very high humidity and 14 hours of daily LED lighting, then waited for several months and there are the plants.

how big is that pot?

My D. schizandra are planted in a 7x7 cm square pot (7 cm is slightly less than 3 inch).

As I have heard, D. schizandra can grow much bigger than my plants are at the moment.

Beautiful plants!

My schizandra is starting to dew up after shipping so I'll get a photou p pretty soon :)

schizzy in the sun.. schizzy in the shade.. schizzy in the bar.. :lol: Looking good Jesse.

Here's some photos of my tank of D. schizandra, adelae and prolifera. I've stumbled upon a method that seems to be keeping these plants very happy. I got a very healthy specimen of D.schizandra from an experienced Canadian grower about a year ago. This is supposed to be the same clone that grows under Phil Mann's greenhouse benches in Australia and it is very vigorous.

The plants are in a 5 gallon tank. The substrate is pure LFS with some live moss on top, although it needs to be trimmed regularly. The top is covered in glass except for about 1/2" on each end. The light is a single 23W compact fluorescent. I pour in rainwater when the moss looks like it's starting to dry - not really dry, just no longer saturated. There's often some standing water in the bottom of the tank. The temperature is whatever my Canadian basement provides - I'd say min 15C at night in the winter and the light heats the tank up to about 25C in the day.

dsc1459j.jpg

I put in some pieces of D. adelae and D. prolifera, seen here on the right, and they are growing very well in the same conditions as the schizandra. All the plants to the left are schizandra.

dsc1461j.jpg

The D. adelae and D. prolifera

dsc1455.jpg

A close-up on a clump of D. schizandra plantlets. You can see a new leaf forming in the centre of the photo.

dsc1454g.jpg

Here's the mother plant back in June 2010 with a full scape of flowers.

schiz1.jpg

Another view of the D. adelae and D. prolifera

dsc1466w.jpg

The flower stalk seen from the side.

dsc1468p.jpg

The plant multiplies by growing plantlets off the roots. You can see a few here up against the glass.

dsc1472j.jpg

Last edited:
I've actually seen pics of that tank.. somewhere. Maybe CPPHOTOFINDER? ??? Very nice..

Your schizandra looks great mass! glad it likes your conditions.

Your schizandra looks great mass! glad it likes your conditions.

Thanks buddy. It's actually put out a few more leaves since those pics. By far one of my top 3 favorites in my collection. Thanks again..

All you guys' plants look great, congrats! Prolifera is my fave but Schizandra looks pretty unique as well.

Hal, that thing is huge! Very nice Queensland collection.

Here are my recent acquisitions from Hal!

This one is growing in low-ish humidity (70%), and highland temps. It took longer to get used to the conditions than the one in higher humidity. It is in a large pot, growing in LFS with live Sphagnum on top.
6179346139_9bf25275f0_z.jpg

6179873062_27c406d35d_z.jpg

This one is growing in a 2 inch pudding cup, with the same substrate. it is in very high humidity and much higher temps. No air flow either.

it took much less time to get used to the conditions, and it's a little more dewy but the leaves are kinda yellow.
6179348843_89c9673513_z.jpg

6179347915_bd2124d485_z.jpg

6179372505_ee725287eb_z.jpg

I love them!! :-D

Very nice
What's up with the pups underground?

The roots were exposed to the light, so they sprouted plants. That's the only reason I can think of why they would do that, anyway. :p

Back