What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ironic Drosophyllum problem

Heli

villosaholic
I have been growing my dewy pine on my roof in brooklyn, it has been getting full sun. The issue is sort of the opposite of what happens to most people, I have been having trouble keeping the soil wet enough, I will water the plant in the morning and by the afternoon the soil is bone dry. I am a bit scared to use a lot of water so im not really sure what to do, any suggestions? thanks

Maybe putting a tray under the pot and keeping it very shallow would be okay if its that hot/bright out?

i'd say you're probably fine doing what you're doing right now...it's better for the plant to be on the dry side anyways than being to damp. are you in a mediterranean climate? perfecto--cuz that's the way how it's supposed to be.

right now it isnt that hot but it gets almost 12 hours of light

If the plant doesn't look too bad, just continue to do what you're doing. Rot is a much scarrier and mysterios problem that you don't want to tangle with. I've lost a few to it even though I don't water that often. Yeah, I've been learning too. Dewy pines are fragile plants. Once they get big it's worth it, though!

Helilover,

I have the exact same problem. I have killed about 10 seedlings this year due to them drying out. :(

How large of a pot is it kept in? In New York with your humidity, I can't imagine you having a problem with the soil drying out, especially if the pot is 10" or larger. Unlike most CPs, soil that is too wet is going to kill your plant faster than soil that is too dry. I water mine once a week and it has been thriving, and on watering day the soil feels dry at least as far as I can stick my fingers in (deeper down it it probably still a bit moist). I posted this video of my Drosophyllum soil a week or two ago, but I'll post it again to show how dry this species can go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s2LsJmFpzy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It still in a 4 inch peat pot which is probably why it gets so dry, I will transplant it into a bigger pot maybe this weekend

Back