What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris dews: which growbulbs should I buy?

thez_yo

instigator
I'd appreciate some advice from the Dew people: I want to set up a dedicated petiolaris dew tank. I have a paradoxa... I hope to acquire more in the near future (workin' on it :p). Paradoxa I have treated like capensis and it has miraculously survived despite the odds, so I want to start doing it right.

I have 1 CFL that's something like 'daylight'... is there something that runs hotter to raise the temperature better? Right now the tank is 80ish degrees after a few hours, which seems too low for them. And I heard one guy say he keeps his 2" away from the bulbs... do you guys keep yours that close? Do you have them in an enclosed tank with no air circulation or have a fan running? Keep them in peat : sand in standing water, or some other recipe?

Thanks for any help!

T5's run hot.
And yes, silica & peat in deep standing water. I keep my water levels half way up the pot.

power compact fluorescent lights will get you where to need to be---i have them in direct contact with the glass tank cover--which allows the terra to reach 100-110F. purchase bulbs @ 6400K-10000K

what is your tank size? i also keepe mine enclosed, barely any circulation, and they do just fine....at least until feeding comes, then mold attacks the food. however, only the leaf seems to be harmed...the rest of the plant is good at damage control.

Last edited:
Pyro's picture links are invalid but the descriptions are good enough:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107261
Pay attention to what pingman says too, as he is one of the pre-eminent Petiolaris growers in the LACPS.

I use a "Pyro Mix" from a soil recipe of Pyro's - sand, perlite, organic (fine pine bark mulch or chopped LFS) and peat moss - like 2,1,1,1. The decriptions of the soil are mainly sand with organics mixed in. Some mention it hardens to a concrete like consistency during the winter (dry season). See Lowrie's papers which are available on Aiden Selwyn's website. Since he sells plants (albiet Europe) I guess I can't list his site.

Thanks!

Warren: Um... I thought we could list vendors if they sell outside of the US?

The posted forum rules mentions no exceptions other than Flytrapshops.com or permission from Andrew. Many of the non-US vendors sell to the US with the proper papers or through US based vendor/resellers.

Back