Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gemmae Season Is Right Around The Corner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a few species with lots of gemmae: oreopodion, palacea "Cranbrook", palacea palacea and roseana. I started the scorpiodes fresh about 6 months ago and they don't have any yet.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. roseanna is indeed the leader of the pack and D. scorpioides should be called D. enigma! I had them outside from late spring through now and although they looked good they never flowered. They do "bring up the rear" when it comes to gemmae production.

No flowers and no gemmae!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. scorpioides has never bloomed for me in my conditions...... Maybe this year

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an artificial setting is there a good way (ie. light cues) to induce gemmae production?
    -Josh
    Grow list

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My D. scorpioides flower about every other year. They usually croak after flowering or kick the bucket after producing gemmae the second time around and have to start over with a new generation.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine always seem to die before or after making gemmae. never get to flowering. Have wondered if I don't have enough cold in the right time to induce flowering. Or their photo period needs are at the very edge of what occurs in my location. Eww might need to test by pulling a curtain over them like forcing mums to bloom in the summer...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for Tamlin's article about the lifecycle of pygmy sundews, but didn't see it in the pinned section. I'll bet NAN can find it, though. If I remember correctly, gemmae production is tied into all of the changes that take place in the fall, to include more rain, cooler temps, and lower photoperiod. There was also something about streetlights interfering with the cycle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I was looking for Tamlin's article about the lifecycle of pygmy sundews, but didn't see it in the pinned section. I'll bet NAN can find it, though. If I remember correctly, gemmae production is tied into all of the changes that take place in the fall, to include more rain, cooler temps, and lower photoperiod. There was also something about streetlights interfering with the cycle.
    yup. I was sort of guessing this as well. Might be part of the reason that certain pings never boom for people also. Only thing for me is that in my area no streetlights so they are getting as long a winter/fall night as they possibly could without me pulling curtains daily..... Hoping it might be more cold related then I could get them to bloom ever few years. We have not had that many nights in the 40's for the past few years now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast