User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some kinda bug in my sundew pot (springtails)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some kinda bug in my sundew pot (springtails)

So this is my oldest sundew pot. I've had it for 4 years (and 1 month), and it's grown, died back, spread to all my other pots, etc etc.

Most recently it's been... really bad. Everything turning black, new growth tortured, etc etc. I assumed it was bad lighting, as the problems are appearing on other plants as well -- basically, everything's died back and sent up "low light" leaves.

I was watering them today (about a day and a half late, they were getting dry) and noticed itty bitty bugs jumping on the water after I flooded the pot. I decided to flush the pot out by putting it in the sink and pouring water over it until it spilled over, then tipped the pot on it's side to wash the rest of the bugs out.

Any idea what type they are? Do I need to panic? I have some Neem Oil based pesticide -- it's Schults "Garden Safe" Fungicide -- Fungicide, Insecticide, and Miticide. I've never tried it on my CP, as it says it's "0.9% Neem Oil" and "99.1% other ingredients", wasn't sure it was CP Safe.

This stuff -- I got the spray, not the concentrate: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Safe-10.../dp/B000JETF1M

Should I consider repotting everything? Spraying a test plant with that spray? Curling up into a ball and freaking out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    springtails. harmless for the most part...i suspect seedlings might fall prey though. otherwise, food.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    springtails. harmless for the most part...i suspect seedlings might fall prey though. otherwise, food.
    Ah. Wish I hadn't flushed them. Wonder if they have like, eggs or something in the soil. Still, with my plants growing back (slowly) from the roots, just as well that I ditched them.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll be back.

Is that an undrained pot? How old is the media? Four plus years is a very long time to go without changing it. The peat breaks down and minerals build up, the latter much more rapidly in undrained containers. If you're getting "sink holes" or low spots definitely high time to change the medium.

And Drosera capensis often poops out after several years. It's always nice to keep a new generation or two growing. Easy to do with D. capensis. Too easy.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's drained, it's a $10 6" ceramic pot from Fred Meyer, with a 4" tall saucer. Not drained WELL, but... yeah.

And yeah, was getting sink spots before the plants died back in the pot. I attributed most of it to the rather vibrant plant dying back, leaving a maze of black, dead, material. Which is why I ultimately decided to cut it back -- the remaining green stuff wasn't growing.

Let it die slowly, or chop it off and pray for regrowth from the roots. Kinda a heartbreaking choice since it was my first Carnivorous Plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find springtails very helpful! They eat mold/fungus and will probably fall victim to the plant. I believe they take care of fungus gnat larva as well.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would change the medium. You'd be surprised on how quickly Drosera can revive with fresh media. And laying some of the root out horizontally stimulates offshoot growth.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to, once they're a bit bigger. I have 5 of them left, 3 of which are seedling sized, the other two are just... sitting there. Not dying / growing / etc. Lots of very small leaves, in an odd cluster -- some of which are deformed -- you can see them up there.

Just waiting on them to get old enough to survive transplanting shock, heh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast