What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

D. rorimae is terrible for me. It makes me incredibly angry, and yet I love it so much. Like a self destructive cycle...

This species from my experience will die a long lingering death if exposed to too cold temperatures. The Cerro Adaua plants seemed the hardiest compared to the Gran Sabana plants. Although the generic non-location plants I had were the reddest I've ever seen in any Drosera - see the calendar photo for an idea of what they looked like.

Last edited:

I love this one. One of my top 3 favorite pygmys..

IMG_7000.jpg

Interesting warren, perhaps I will stick a pot of babies into the warmer place. Could be interesting.

My plants still have the sickly yellow colour, it grows, but it does not look good...

@RL: Congrats on the tomentosa flower! I can't even grow most SA 'dews properly. :p

now that's an amazing hybrid

Thanks Travis. :)

Its soo dewy and red

Thanks!

@Mass: I also love that pygmy. Definitely a keeper.

D. x beleziana (intermedia*rotundifolia), tetraploid (aka: fertile)
:drool:

Ok, the D. ultramafica or D. spatulata × ultramafica hybrid or whatever it is actually produced some seed which look a lot like the type specimen seed for D. ultramafica. The scape looks D. ultramafica, but the leaves and stiipules don't match the type description. Unfortunately I was never able to catch the flowers open.

By moving an light source to different angles you can just make out the reticulated texture that is typical D. ultramafica. Shape conforms to both species in question.
s1.jpg

Note: anybody remember the pods from the 1950's version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?
http://mindreels.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/pod.jpg

Just to throw more mud into the waters:

This is supposed to be D. ultramafica from the ICPS seedbank sent by one of the expedition members:
useed.jpg

This is D. spatulata "Anapara, Gumfields, NZ"
anapari2.jpg

D. spatulata var gympiensis
gympiensis.jpg

D. spatulata 'Tamlin'
tamlin2.jpg

According to Fleischmann D. spatulata should have a granulate texture on the seed. All of these except D. 'Tamlin' are reticulated. The photos of D. spatulata seed on Honda's website are also reticulated.

Confusion runs rampant.

Last edited:
8231215714_11deec9751_c.jpg

8231233112_536ff7f389_c.jpg

Last edited:
'Ivan's Paddle'?

Drosera x [capillaris Pasco Giant x rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin'], but they do look really similar from the top.

Ahh, that's one I haven't seen in awhile. It was all the rage 6 or 8 years ago. Ivan hated it because he couldn't get it to flower.

00640015.jpg

Click to see animation

Last edited:
Very nice.

I can't get it to flower either. Although for me it's a good thing, because I find it annoying when sterile plants flower and waste the energy of the plant!

Have a decent spatumafica pic. Plant does not have dew, but it is producing nice looking leaves. I'll put it up to the ultralo humidity:

DSC_0002-19.jpg

It appears to show the transparent hairs of spatulata. Looking forward to getting seeds.

On the subject of hairs, here is a species I have been trying to acquire for a very long time, and finally succeeded in getting earlier this fall, D. slackii:

DSC_0010-5.jpg

And a gemmae plantlet of a species I have been searching for, D. scorpiodes "giant":

DSC_0007-14.jpg

And another recent arrival, D. collinsiae:

DSC_0012-6.jpg

D. graomogolensis being grown in low humidity:

DSC_0001-23.jpg

And a plant being grown in higher humidity conditions:

DSC_0013-4.jpg

And a couple randoms to finish off:

D. hamiltonii:

DSC_0011-7.jpg

D. esmereldae:

DSC_0003-23.jpg

Just some dewy stuff... :p This thread is not active enough...

Nice looking plants, Peat. The second graom is so dewy.

the Intermedia were looking pretty good this morning. thought i'd immortalize the moment forever...
D_Intermedia.jpg

Just noticed the little flower stalk coming in. These guys are barely out of the test tube. Champs, i tell ya.

My plants still have the sickly yellow colour, it grows, but it does not look good...
Based both on NaN's comments above and pics of these on CPUK, it seems that the D. roraimae ´Cerro Adaua' location doesn't normally get very red. Neither of my plants show any strong red coloration - and one of them is less than 5 inches from a T-5 lamp (w/ mirror reflector). Otoh, the red of the D. tomentosa shames even the D. graomogolensis. :0o:

Last edited:
Drosera madagascarensis Presqu'ile de Masoala, Madagascar - more flower stalks!
IMGP8860.jpg

IMGP8873.jpg

IMGP8871.jpg

IMGP8868.jpg

D. admirabilis and D. slackii looking crappy for the winter
IMGP8862.jpg

IMGP8858.jpg

D. ultramafica × ? - coloring up nicely for the winter
IMGP88491.jpg

D. admirabilis and D. slackii looking crappy for the winter

Yeah, my D. slackii is looking poor at this time of year too. When the temps are in the low 90's and the S. American 'dews are hating life it roars.

weird my slakii is doing fine with nights low 50's and mid 60 days not very red but getting more dewy
flowerstalkvft12102012046_zpsac6cedc7.jpg

Last edited:
and i too have madagascarensis flowers maybe triggered by cooler temps?
flowerstalkvft12102012047_zpsc2a121e8.jpg

@Ron,

Actually, my big rorimae has pests. That was probably the problem. Luckily I have backup plants from leaf cuttings.

Peat, your esmeredlae is gorgeous! I don't think I've seen that one before.

Back