Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dew Line

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. trinervia is a winter grower and goes dormant in the summer. Without dormancy they will not flower and grow much slower. After dormancy the growth spurt is remarkable, immature plants and seedlings will quickly double from their pre-dormancy size in a very short time until they reach their mature size. Plants not given proper dormancy eventually died. See my earlier post.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the trinervia. I tried sprouting some of those once, but did not succeed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had to throw out a pot of seedlings that was completely covered with moss.

I've been trying various conditions, they take 4-8 weeks to germinate. Maybe less if you treat at least 24 hours with GA3.

Sown uncovered, same conditions as the parent plants have been grown in: room temperatures with morning sunlight. Media kept very wet - water nearly to the surface of the medium.

What didn't work - bagged under lights at room temperatures. Bagged under lights tropical temperatures (85-90F days 75-80F nights). After three months with no germination these batches were changed to the uncovered conditions and they germinated within 6 weeks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing with a "new" old lens.

The Good - D. hamiltonii - continues to push up offshoots since I repotted at the beginning of summer. There were only 3-4 plants in there when I finished repotting.

The Bad - D. graomogolensis - indoors to avoid cold weather and on the windowsill. The pot is too tall to fit under my lights so it loses the characteristic red color of the species. They seem to develop the "helical" twist of the leaves indoors too.

The Ugly - oopsie! What happened there? D. graomogolensis will crash like this. But then there are at least 3 offshoots from the one plant so....

and then there are always a few pots of 'em laying around...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do the graos just spontaneously generate new plantlets in the same way hamiltonii does?

- Mark

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. They grow best in tall pots. D. hamiltonii will produce more offshoots in shallower pots. With them it seems when the roots go horizontal they start putting out offshoots. Maybe a survival mechanism to spread the plants out to find deeper soil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that's so great, NaN, everything looks awesome!!!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed this post the first time around. Very nice looking Petiolaris Complex! Everything Australian stands out to me.

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast