What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

'Nice-looking 'dews, STpaMan. Are the last ones D. paradoxa?

Thanks Mark, I believe the last one is D. dilato-petiolaris. It's much bigger now, and a deeper red. I just bought one of your paradoxa a few weeks ago. I have it outside. I slowly acclimated it to full sun, it's doing great.

Thanks for the reply. I meant to guess D. petiolaris but goofed.

New arrival, fresh from the post.

9KEMTlQ.jpg

5qEUlZX.jpg

VB8I0fD.jpg

'Nice to see lotsa petiolaris 'dews popping up.

That does it, I'm going to build a hot terrarium. I need to get into the petiolaris game.

That does it, I'm going to build a hot terrarium. I need to get into the petiolaris game.

I recommend it! Mine is an exceedingly complicated, expensive affair... a few deep sterlite containers (I think they cost me about $4 each), a couple of digital thermometers ($4 each again), some plastic wrap, and masking tape to keep that on after I inevitably fiddle with it too much. They sit about an inch below my T8 fixtures, and warm up very nicely.

I have to admit, I'm a little jelly of these pics. What a cool plant!

New arrival, fresh from the post.

9KEMTlQ.jpg

5qEUlZX.jpg

VB8I0fD.jpg

@Jimscott: Nice pygmies sir! Have you been growing these species long?

My contribution:

D. burmannii (Hann River, Kimberley, Western Australia). I love how these have been growing for me. First pic is from April 6th, second and third are from Wednesday and today respectively. These are supposed to be an all-red variety, but they've been eating so much in my care (cleaned their pot of springtails in their first two weeks) that they've stayed a cool lime green. I think I'll hold off for a bit and see what kind of color my lights can bring out in them.

5pbYOVm.jpg

HU66Vd3.jpg

zULQgVN.jpg

I didn't know feeding plants could make them be more green to that extent. Maybe that is why my capensis red seedlings seemed to stop having any red coloration once I began to feed them. They have ended up getting way bigger though.

Wow, beautiful photos! really healthy looking Burmannii you have there.
I've also got a few that germinated a few weeks ago. Can't believe how fast this species grow.

Last edited:
All of the plants I feed regularly tend towards lighter color, but yeah, I feed my burmannii and sessilifolia a LOT to keep them going through their endless flowering, so they tend to go much greener than the rest.

Wow, beautiful photos! really healthy looking Burmannii you have there.
I've also got a few that germinated a few weeks ago. Can't believe how fast this species grow.

Thanks, and yeah, seedling to flowering in less than two months is quite the turnaround!

Thought I would add something.

16.jpg

20.jpg

Last edited:
All of the plants I feed regularly tend towards lighter color, but yeah, I feed my burmannii and sessilifolia a LOT to keep them going through their endless flowering, so they tend to go much greener than the rest.

Do you manage to keep your Burmannii alive after flowering?

The burmanii macro makes it look so ethereal!

Do you manage to keep your Burmannii alive after flowering?

Yup - it seems to be all about feeding (I try to feed once a week). I cut flower stalks now and again as well, but only if the plant in question looks to be in decline. The "Pilliga Red" I've been growing seem to die off after a year and a half or two years for me regardless, and I suppose I'll see how the other varieties I'm growing now compare. I can't seem to kill the closely related D. sessilifolia. I have one of these going on its third year now, still sending up fresh flower stalks almost weekly.

@Tanukimo - Thank you! Burmannii / sessilifolia are some of my favorite plants to photograph. They always seem to look great in close-up.

Back