What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

Some little D. burmannii (Hann River, Kimberley, Western Australia).

Their older siblings are finally starting to color up now that I've been laying off the feeding a bit. 11 days' progress, from June 5 to today. Another few days and I doubt there'll be much left to show that they were ever green to begin with.

Yeah, those are Humpty Doo, NT, Australia.

Yeah, those are Humpty Doo, NT, Australia.

Very cool - that red is absolutely intense. I have two newly sown pots of those... waiting (im)patiently for the first sprouts.

In other news, noticed earlier today that these have started springing up. D. omissa seedlings:

They are growing just a couple inches from the lights and I haven't fed them in over a month. I'm coloring them up for the BACPS show on Saturday :D

Nothing special, just some D. Capensis looking awesome this morning.

20140618_070813.jpg

20140618_070010.jpg

20140618_070821.jpg

Outside, just after sunrise

The capensis looks so good!

@Tacks: Hope the show goes well - I can't imagine burmannii ever looking much better than yours do now.

@DavidA: Love capensis! Those look wonderful.

And something else from my lot... D. petiolaris, starting to look pretty fine. As bad a shape as it was in when it came in, didn't think it would be back to fighting strength so soon.

@Tacks: Hope the show goes well - I can't imagine burmannii ever looking much better than yours do now.

It definitely went well! The blue ribbon is in the Sundews, Drosophyllum, Byblis, Roridula category, and the red ribbon is the show overall. I'm so proud of my little plants :)

Awesome!

D. regia clone R1, recently repotted and starting to make fat droplets of dew again
IMGP8422_zps656e34bd.jpg

D. regia clone C (out of focus :p)
IMGP8423_zps04615272.jpg

cuttings potted up
IMGP8411_zpsa082de04.jpg

As per Robert Gibson I repotted my D. slickii into a deep pot. New leaf growth opening, and with nice dew - something that doesn't happen very often.
IMGP8417_zpsf31fb9d0.jpg

IMGP8416_zps99331d63.jpg

I don't have much to contribute, but I hope you guys enjoy this pic of my D. Burmannii. So far they're my healthiest, happiest plants.

D. Burmannii 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Thanks NaN and Kevin P, I was really proud of my little guys.

Zath, those D. burmannii are adorable, hope you enjoy them. If you feed them well they'll get really big fast.

Awesome!

D. regia clone R1, recently repotted and starting to make fat droplets of dew again
IMGP8422_zps656e34bd.jpg

D. regia clone C (out of focus :p)
IMGP8423_zps04615272.jpg

cuttings potted up
IMGP8411_zpsa082de04.jpg

Speaking of dewy D. regia, the second place sundew at the BACPS show was the most stunningly dewy sundew I've ever seen. It's a lovely old D. regia grown by Dan Martinez. Check out these pics.

Make sure to click through to the full resolution, it's incredible.

D. falconeri
IMGP8447_zpsb60d4417.jpg

You beat me by a day Not a Number!
Figured I show off the red coloration slowing coming back to my falconeri. This was it back on May 30th with a quarter for size referece:

And this is it today:

For about 2 weeks I moved it out of my closet into the garage but the heat was too much for it (my ampullaria was super pissed at me for that decision too haha). You can see a little bit of the leaf burning on the left side. I know a lot of you guys get temps into the hundreds but I have found it does better in the 90-95 range during the day and 70-75 at night.

Here's a pic of my D. lanata I received from Bluemax around mid May. It took a little longer to settle in than the paradoxa I received from him at the same time (will be pictured next). You can see roughly how wide the plant was with some of the older dead leaves on the ground. Still it seems to be doing quite nicely after that initial settling period. If you zoom in on the photo you can actually see a tiny moth on the left most trap.

A top down shot:

The aforementioned paradoxa. These clear pots are 3 1/4" wide for size reference. I would guess the paradoxa is about 4" wide and 4" tall at the moment. I also noticed today it is sending out it's first flower stalk. That will have to be cut off soon and fed to my water tray to let the propagation begin. At least my falconeri flower stalk wont be so lonely now :)

And finally just for a little fun here's the lanata, paradoxa, and N. bicalcarata posing for a group shot!

a couple of pics and a thank you for NAN,after taking NAN's advice i put a couple of hamiltonii plantlets in a very deep pot i made out of a section of white rain downpipe ,they seem to be loving it and are growing way better than my others in a shallow pot :-D

The thanks go to your fellow countryman Stephen Morley who reported the observation that deep pots may facilitate flowering. I just ran with the suggestion and my results appear to confirm his findings. My D. slackii seem much happier in deep pots too.

Last edited:
i shall have to try the slackii in the deep pots then,i need a larger down pipe though as i fear its unstable,i owe Stephen a thank you for my plant in plant of the month as well, Mr Morley :beer:cheers

Back