Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuttings, high time to repot them

D. glabripes

D. regia (and D. glabripes)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the coolest thing I've seen in a very long time! Incredible work Warren!
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a picture of my drosera spatulata seedlings sprouted a few weeks ago. (thanks for the seeds Aaron)

Theyre a little crowded because i overplanted expecting less germination for year old seeds. To my surprise they germinated like crazy and now i have like 50 in one pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months ago, a grower/buddy sent me some T/C dews & threw in a few of a hybrid -- D. capensis "Alba" x D. aliciae. When I first started to grow them, I thought they were indeed the hybrid. After a while, I thought the new plant was just another D. capensis "Alba". Lately, I've been migrating back to my original thinking - that this may be indeed a hybrid (mostly due to tentacle density). By a serendipitous fluke, the only D. capensis I'm currently growing is an "Alba" form (extra from an old plant order) that has been languishing in the back of one of my tanks. I'm curious what the more taxonomically-inclined folks think about these plants. Are the differences just because one is an older mis-treated plant or something more?

All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new leaves on your "alba" seem to be getting a lot of red for that color form. I would agree, though, the other one appears to be a hybrid. The leaf shape kind of gives that away too.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One possible way is to compare the flower structures. Unfortunately I don't have any D. capensis white flower shots and the shots I have of D. capensis and D. aliciae flowers are not at the same magnification as the supposed hybrid flower pictures I have. Comparison of D. capensis vs D. capensis aliciae vs D. alicae flowers.

Click on thumbnail for larger image.

Photobucket
    flowers are not to scale (different maginfications and sized for the photo)

I have some D. alicae which should flower within a week or two and I can get better shots. No D. capensis in flower though.

Looks to me the anthers are more D. aliciae-like but not doesn't seem all that different between the species to begin with. Better detailed shots are needed of the species.

See this ICPS article on Drosera hybrids for more information.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 09-18-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Looks to me the anthers are more D. aliciae-like but not doesn't seem all that different between the species to begin with.
    The anthers seems almost identical in all. It's difficult for me to see much differentiation between the cape & the hybrid flower - anthers & stigma are very similar. Petal color & shape are different but color is easily influenced by lighting & shape may vary depending on environment (to some degree anyway). Shame the hybrid's style wasn't forked like the aliciae....
    Last edited by RL7836; 09-19-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Color needs identical light sources (not the case). Petals would have to be removed and pressed or mounted on slides to compare shape. The sepals, calyx and seed might be different enough to help. I doubt it. Let's see if this thing produces seed. Both D. aliciae and D. capensis have a 2n=40 however some sources give 2n=80 for D. aliciae. Even so there is an even chance these are fertile. Capsules don't seem to be swelling much but neither do D. capensis.

BTW: I got germination from GA3 treated seeds of the tetraploid D. beleziana (aka Dr. Frankensnyder's Monster):

This could be the beginning of the end as they take over the world!