Thread: The Dew Line

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice indeed.

Re: D. ultramafica vs D. spatulata

Ok, I've been reading the paper on D. ultramafica.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00001/art00004

There is a table of the differences between D. ultramfica and D. spatulata. Notable:
    • D. ultramafica is stem forming. Old D. spatulata may form a skirt of dead leaves but (at least with D. spatulata in the same area) do not have upright growing leaves - they are all apressed towards the ground.
    • The flower scapes on D. spatulata are covered with glandular trichomes. D. ultramafica is not.
    • D. spatulata does not grow in ultramafic soils.
    • D. ultramafica seed is reticulate vs granulate for D. spatulata.

If there has been D. spatulata mixed in with D. ultramafica in cultivation it must have come from some other source than from around where D. ultramafica grows since the plants in those areas do not grow upright leaves.

It shouldn't be difficult to ID from seed.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Nan: I think that most people have the D. spatulata mislabeled as D. ultramafica, including what BCP sells. Mine are currently flowering, so I'll be able to collect seed from them soon to identify them. . . Although I am 90% sure they are not D. ultramafica.

Regarding the D. capensis "albino" x aliciae, I have been growing this plant for 2 years now. I think that there is some aliciae in it. The flower resembles D. aliciae a little bit, and of course the wide leaves, but then why is it fertile? Was is treated with colchicine at one point or something? As you might have noticed, I don't really understand how the whole hybrid thing works yet.

Here are two pictures from last year (excuse the silly "signature" on the flower pic):

And here is a more recent pic with some nice red colouration going on:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devon, I'd love some tips on how to grow the "ultramafica" from BCP. It has been a royal diva for me so far... It looks like an ugly green monster at the moment. With no dew. I hail your superior growing skills
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    Devon, I'd love some tips on how to grow the "ultramafica" from BCP. It has been a royal diva for me so far... It looks like an ugly green monster at the moment. With no dew. I hail your superior growing skills
    Aw shuwcks.

I actually just grow it like most of my other 'dews on the shelft under my t8 lights in low humdity.

The D. oblanceolata I received from CPgeek took a very, very long time to start growing healthy leaves. It grew super slowly compared to the seed grown ones I had, which have been in my conditions since germination, and continued to grow to maturity while the mature one from Rob stayed small. So what I'm getting at is that yours are probably still under stress from the climate change, and are taking their time to start growing god looking leaves again. That's my guess, anyway.

Perhaps try taking cuttings and starting fresh, that sometimes works for me. . . Or you can wait until it pulls through.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not looking good with the supposed D. ultramafica. This was from the same batch as Ron's plant. The stipules should be red. Andreas Fleischmann in the paper says all varieties of D. spatulata have papery white or transparent stipules:

Re: hybrid - I got no seed from my plant although I haven't completely dried the pods yet. The ones I sliced open have no seeds. As far as I can tell the flowers look like D. capensis flowers - the only D. aliciae characteristic I can see are maybe the glands on the scape, sepals and pedicels. The plants may not be mature enough since they were deflasked at the beginning of summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Re: hybrid - I got no seed from my plant although I haven't completely dried the pods yet. The ones I sliced open have no seeds. As far as I can tell the flowers look like D. capensis flowers - the only D. aliciae characteristic I can see are maybe the glands on the scape, sepals and pedicels. The plants may not be mature enough since they were deflasked at the beginning of summer.
    Sometimes my capensis x aliciae would not make seeds, but other times they would make a huge amount. I know for sure that I had one plants that didn't make seeds and the other two did.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if it is fertile I'd lean towards it just being a broadleaf D. capensis. Natural alloploids can occur (as with the Butterfly Valley D. hybrida - its not as rare as you might think). Some gametes are produced with the full set of chromosomes and if two of these fuse the result can be fertile offspring. Colchicine treatment does the same by doubling the chromosomes. See this webpage for the theory: http://www.macroevolution.net/polypl...l#.UIWuUq48qF9

The seed is viable I take it. Some hybrids will produce seed that is not viable.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 10-22-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the BCP provided "D. ultramafica" is actually something other than, I find myself in the same boat as the two of you. The stipules on my 1/2" plantlets look pinkish on several of them but I'm not too sure. On other plants they are certainly white/transparent. I did have a larger plant, 'don't remember the stipule color, that most definitely had formed a stem. I've grown D. spatulata and these don't have the look to my eye, though I also realize there is quite a lot of variation in that species and I haven't seen all variants.

Ooh. I like that D.capensis x aliciae.
    - Mark