Likes Likes:  0
Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dew Line

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. "ultramafica" - this thing is looking more and more like D. spatulata every day. Being too lazy to rearrange my plant shelf so I could get at this because of the flower I put it on the windowsill. Note the lack of upright leaves except for those that are in the process of opening.

I'm not sure if this is from BCP or CZ Plants. Maybe Ron knows. And they're getting 10-12 euros for these? One of the nurseries in Australia sells D. spatulata 'Tamlin' for one Australian penny in appreciation of the help he gave in sorting out the IDs of most of their Drosera inventory.

The Tamlin Dawnstar rule of D. spatulata: If it looks like spatulata it is spatulata.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 10-24-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it looks like spatulata!

Mine still looks like a pile of fetid garbage. But I'm restarting from leaf cuttings, so I should have some nicer results soon. Still having major mould issues with mine. They are the most fresh from TC plants I've ever received. Still acclimating after several months.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    On the D. ultramafica vs spatulata, it sounds like Herr Fleischmann believes the latest plants being shared everywhere are actually D. ultramafica x spatulata hybrids - not pure spatulata.
    I kinda figured that when Herr Fleischmann siad that our plants were a hybrid, the debate stopped. I don't think I've ever known him to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I'm not sure if this is from BCP or CZ Plants. Maybe Ron knows.
    While I am not certain, I don't believe our plants came from either vendor. However, there's a very good chance that the original source of the hybrid is the same...

Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I currently have 2 of the 'real' seedlings looking like they will survive (I know - famous last words) and another needing a miracle. At least we're getting out of the hotter weather - so they have a better shot at survival.
    The one seedling in the 1st pot died. The seedling in the 2nd pot is still growing and now upon closer inspection has several siblings:
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if it is a hybrid, the hybridization must have taken place in cultivation. In Fleischmann et al paper on D. ultramafica they state that no hybrids were found along with D. ultrimafica for the simple reason that D. spatulata does/will/can not grow in ultramafic soils. If it is a hybrid of D. ultramafica spatulata is it sterile or fertile? If fertile seed from the hybrid (F2 generation) has been going around then the implication would be that D. ultramafica is not a species but a form/var/ssp of D. spatulata. That was the test Robert Gibson applied to D. neocaledonica - the hybrid was sterile. I've not know Robert Gibson to be wrong either.

Last time I checked the seedlings from Robert Gibson were still not growing and down to 2 survivors. According to Ivan when he examined the seedlings he saw red stipules which would suggest they are indeed D. ultramafica.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    loving the side shoots, they are very cute

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. tomentosa stalk
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you growing this one Ron?
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread