Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dew Line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lovely shots!
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swing with the hips, not with the arms! Looks awesome NaN
    Grow to learn, learn to grow.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bad - D. glabripes - most difficult species I've run across to keep alive more than 3-4 years. Difficult to propagate from cuttings, rarely flowers in cultivation. Fortunately I did get one cutting to strike after trying 4-5 years and acquired some seed. It started to decline at the beginning of summer, started to recover then got hit with aphids. Either the aphids or the pesticides or both were the last straw.

The Good - D. venusta "coccicaulis" cold weather tests tempertures dipped to 39°F (4°C) this week so far no ill effects.

The Ugly - D. graomogolensis - same cold weather trials. These look very unhappy. Normally cold exposure is fatal to other South American species - a long lingering death over 10-12 months usually. For those growing these outdoors keep an eye on the temperatures.

compare to a control group growing on the windowsill
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beautiful plants regardless... these plants are so amazing... even while many of us have tons and tons of growing experience, they find ways to aggravate and drive us insane...

isnt D. glabripes a winter growing sundew, and should be kept along the lines of D. cistiflora?

also, i found great news! i made an overseas order about 4 months ago, and with it i had purchased a D. ascendens which was already a sickly yellow. upon opening the bag, it turned black. XD
    that being said, i decided to pull the plant out of it's pot and left it in a covered bag with dim light in LFS. to my pleasant surprise i found 2 plantlets--light deprived but plants never the less. phew! now here's to seeing the graomo roots strike!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    isnt D. glabripes a winter growing sundew, and should be kept along the lines of D. cistiflora?
    Nope, natural range overlaps with D. aliciae, indeed will hybridize naturally to make D. Ścorithica. Another plant that is very difficult to keep alive long term.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    that being said, i decided to pull the plant out of it's pot and left it in a covered bag with dim light in LFS. to my pleasant surprise i found 2 plantlets--light deprived but plants never the less. phew! now here's to seeing the graomo roots strike!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how persistent the cold temps. Got no concept. we might get down to the 30's overnight but i doubt that it will stay that long for any period of time. Will that make a differnce?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one night so far, otherwise mid 40s. In my experience that's all it takes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm time to start closing the greenhouse door ....

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast