Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 36 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dew Line

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera venusta var. natalensis, if I've got the name aligned with current taxonomy.
    - Mark

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I've heard of it. I would imagine it to be the other way around since D. natalensis was described decades before D. venusta.

Drosera glabripes

D. venusta

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    First I've heard of it. I would imagine it to be the other way around since D. natalensis was described decades before D. venusta.
    You would think. I've done a bit of online research but I'm still not clear on it. Var. coccicaulis seems to be a very different plant.

(See the note at top of: http://cpphotofinder.com/drosera-venusta-2631.html)
    - Mark

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The name coccicaulis is bogus. Nobody knows who came up with the name or even where the plants came from. Without that information and type specimens taken from a natural location it never be a valid species. There are various stories floating around on the origin of the name - the one you'll hear most is that Debbert used it as a cover name for D. venusta. If you think about it how is using a never-heard-of-before species epithet for a yet undescribed and un-named species is going to keep people from asking too many questions is beyond me. And "coccicaulis" translated from Latin literally means "berry stem". How does that make any sense? An alternate translation would be "scarlet stem". Since the plant isn't stem forming one would think it refers then to the the flower stem. Most of the South African Drosera flower stems will turn red in bright lighting. So again it makes no sense.

Robert Gibson studied "coccicaulis" and concluded it is related to D. natalensis and D. venusta. But again since no one knows where the plants came from they can't be studied in-situ and thus will never be accepted as valid.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This helps us to understand the state of the names but suggests there is more of the story that is yet untold. I believe I will treat D. venusta and D. natalensis as separate species until I see reason to lump them together. Though I haven't compared flowers they certainly don't look a lot alike to my eye.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plants! I went through the entire thread. Can't wait to see more & contribute sometime.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. cistiflora

D. admirabilis "holotype, small form"

D. venusta

D. glabripes

D. ultramafica ? (presumed to be D. utramafica spatulata)

Last edited by Not a Number; 03-05-2015 at 08:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera glanduligera