Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 44 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dew Line

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice and thriving collection. Maybe your pics will inspire me to do something about mine.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    A nice and thriving collection. Maybe your pics will inspire me to do something about mine.
    haha. thanks blue. i appreciate that. these plants seem to be the only ones that consistently perform well for me--- aside from dormancy issues. i noticed in the revised savage garden, that Peter noted temps for petiolaris dews to be around 60-90F. I would advise growers to push for 75F-125F to avoid complications associated with dormancy. my aquarium heater which heats my watering tray, is set at 89F which allows the heat to persist when the lights turn off. it will be almost impossible to kill these plants with heat (provided there is water) as Adam Cross has noted soil temperatures of petiolaris habitats to be roughly 135F.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to add in a little on this thread:
    Drosera "venusta": received this as seeds from I believe wireman, they have white flowers though, so I'm not positive on the ID

Plants I believe are D. admirabilis

D. sessilifolia

D. capillaris Long Arm

D. anglica Oregon

D. madagascariensis

D. sp. Lantau Island

D. rotundifolia

One of my favorites right now, I received these seeds as D. capillaris Florida, but I believe they are a cross with intermedia

And lastly, D. intermedia Carolina Giant. These always manage to surpass 4 inches across for me.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a white flowered "albino" form of what is supposed to be D. venusta going around. I haven't seen an actual clone of the plant in person. It may just be the angle of the photograph but the characteristic upright growth of the new leaves (angle depends on age of the leaf) isn't obvious. Debbert makes a big deal about this in his description. Here are the drawings (and seed photograph) from Debbert's diagnosis. Figure 2 shows the spread of leaf angles. You can also compare the stigma (8), stipules (4), and scape (5) to see if they match.

Here are pictures of the seed flower and plant from my collection. Compare them with Debbert's drawing and your plant

Long arm/leaf D. capillaris have been suspected of being introgressed hybrids with D. intermedia but I believe Ivan Snyder was able to determine they are not.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 08-02-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants are semi-upright as they grow out, it's just the angle of the pic. What confuses me is the fact that the plants aren't quite as hairy as I've seen in pics, and on the flowers the ovary isn't quite that big, neither are the pollen sacs on the anthers. Otherwise it seems close enough......
    As for the capillaris/intermedia hybrid, I have the long arm variety (as pictured above) and the leaves simply don't match. They are perfectly intermediate between the species, and the flowers never fully open, nor produce viable seeds. Color of the semi-visible petals is also intermediate. Whatever they may be, though, they are fantastic specimens.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are notable difference between the flower structures of D. capensis and D. capensis "Red" so differences might be expected. I just recreated the D. capensis 'Albino' aliciae cross as well as crossing D. aliciae capensis "Red". Unfortunately the reciprocal crosses didn't bear seed. I'm looking for a reliable grower how can grow from seed to maturity, is observant enough to compare structures and will not sell these plants and seeds on eBay. Interested? We could swap from some of the "albino" D. venusta seed.

If the D. "capillaris" appears to be infertile then perhaps it is a hybrid.

Awesome collection by the way.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I sent the last of the seeds I collected from the venustas to the ICPS, but within a few weeks I should have a bunch again (these things are also very prolific in flowering), so I don't have those for trade at the moment, though I've been wanting to get some capensis hybrids in my collection. It would be interesting to try and start doing some more scientific observations in regards to these plants too.....
    Well, maybe in a few weeks. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can manage to catch a flower that's open.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started growing sundews. I have a couple of d. intermedia outside in one of the mini bogs, but decided to try some of the easier sub-tropicals in a terrarium.

The d. capensis alba is in its preferred spot, I think.

I thought I probably wouldn't care much for the rosette dews, but I was surprised.
    d. tokaiensis

The way this flower is growing is wild...what's up with all the 90 degree turns?

d. capensis wide leaf

d. capensis narrow leaf, red

d. capensis narrow leaf