What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

Re: CA × HI

One plant just put out this leaf
ch1.jpg

compared to what it was growing before
ch2.jpg

Now if only I had that problem... :hail:

Follow-up

D. hamiltonii
IMGP4864.jpg

D. trinervia seedlings
IMGP4845.jpg

IMGP4849.jpg

Awesome. Do you have any tips on growing D. trinervia seedlings? I have some growing (which are not nearly as nice as yours.. they're 2mm across) but I am not sure how they will fair this summer.

This is the first year I've been doing anything vaguely systematic with seeds. This batch I started around this time last year. I had two batches intending to keep one wet through the summer and let the other dry out. The other pot got overrun with moss so I tossed it out. These I kept wet through out the summer and they didn't go dormant. If they did I would have let the pot dry out. I moved these outdoors as I am trying different growing conditions too.

They other batches I started in the fall around the time the mother plants started waking up. They aren't much bigger than 2mm either. Feed them as often as you can. Springtails which were on short supply around here for some reason are ideal.

Thanks. I've only fed them once so far, but I'm scared of killing them from mold. I'll move them next to my vent in my room during the summer, hopefully it will help keep them cool.

I made a new hybrid, although it's probably the worst one in history.... 'Tis D. tokaiensis x sp. "Lantau Island". I don't think it's any good because D. sp "Lantau Island" and D. tokaiensis are half related, so the hybrid look so much like D. sp. "Lantau Island" and D. tokaiensis.. Sorry that I'm not very good at explaining what I think. Haha.

It seems to have taken on the shape of D. tokaiensis while having the brilliant deep red colour of D. sp. "Lantau Island". As you can see I just re-potted it.
6961990184_15b475c791_c.jpg

7108061607_a0b1270bed_c.jpg

I still can't really say it's a hybrid yet, but I think it is. I have never seen a tok with colour that deep before.

Very nice pictures!!
heres a few of mine o.o
255ks8x.jpg

^dielsiana
2u6jivp.jpg

^spatulata
1447md.jpg

^3head spatulata
30syr0i.jpg

^alba
59xank.jpg

^cuba
34gssw6.jpg

^cuba after moving the light a few inches closer and spreading out the plants
308wk2h.jpg

1zzhlrt.jpg

^pretty much my idea of a perfect leaf and flower
211w7tf.jpg

^death cradle

Very nice indeed!

D. helodes (best looking pygmy Drosera in my collection)
IMGP4907.jpg

D. allantostigma
IMGP4891.jpg

Love the colours, NaN. I love pygmies... Are they growing in natural light?

Here are a bunch of D. intermedia "cuba" plants before and after repotting. They were cramped in this tiny pudding cup pot, which is 2 inches across and two inches deep.
7125759991_e1f425acf2_c.jpg
6979673786_450046f51b_c.jpg

repotting
6979676180_a0e6718a2f_c.jpg

The long roots were curling around at the bottom of the pot!
6979678402_d5230cf26a_c.jpg

before and after
6979680546_2a48cb9189_c.jpg
6979682622_8ec1384edc_c.jpg

EDIT

I forgot to mention that it has been exactly one month after being repotted.

Last edited:
Such nice colors, guess I should sow those seeds I've had for years.

D. helodes is on the window sill. I usually start my gemmae indoors until they are big enough to survive the wind swept rain (rare) outdoors. They are doing so good where they are I left them there. The D. allantostigma are outdoors on the balcony.

Such nice colors, guess I should sow those seeds I've had for years.

D. helodes is on the window sill. I usually start my gemmae indoors until they are big enough to survive the wind swept rain (rare) outdoors. They are doing so good where they are I left them there. The D. allantostigma are outdoors on the balcony.

Interesting. I've never tried growing them outdoors.

I'm soooo happy I've finally found the right spot for this plant! It's one of my faves.

Best part: It grows in natural light.

Worst part: There's a bag over it :(

sunlight approaching
prolifera02.jpg

in the shade
prolifera01.jpg

ps: check out the "d. prolifera frustration" thread to see how far it has come!

Very nice and dewy!

Work in progress: D. graminifolia
IMGP5209.jpg

cute seedlings :) how long did they take before germinating?

Plantlets from cuttings, not seedlings. Takes months for cuttings to strike.

D. hamiltonii - any day now :)
IMGP5229.jpg

Did you strike them in the sphagnum or in water?

D. graomogolensis winter test. Towards the middle of fall I put one pot of cuttings outdoors while the other was on an east facing windowsill. Plants were approximately the same size and age coming from the same batch of cuttings.

Outdoors group (minimum temperature this winter 37°F)
IMGP5662.jpg

Windowsill group (minimum temperature 64°F)
IMGP5663.jpg

The winter group is not really growing. There are a number of D. venusta seedlings in there, a couple D. graomogolensis died. Windowsill pot has only a few plants left - others were donated to the NASC auction.

My recommendation that the temperatures for this species not go below 42°F still stands. They'll survive but have the indication of the slow one year dance-of-death that South American Drosera do if exposed to too low temperatures. Time will tell. Oversized, thick walled pots will help.

See below - double posted.

Last edited:
Back