Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dew Line

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am finding that D. aliciae doesn't do well in bright conditions. Too much sun for me ends up with stunted very red plants. Nice and red, but super tiny.... Also guessing it may want a cool period. Hamiltonii always looks shirty for me...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post
    Which lens did you use for these pictures?

Super-Multi-Coated Macro Takumar 50mm f4
    (M42 screwmount circa 1971). I get infinity focus on my DSLR but only 0.5x magnification. 1x with an extension tube but no infinity focus. I'm impressed with the color rendition from this lens. The 100mm is more desirable since it has more working distance between the subject and lens but goes for around twice as much as the 50mm. I love the compact size.

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    I am finding that D. aliciae doesn't do well in bright conditions. Too much sun for me ends up with stunted very red plants. Nice and red, but super tiny.... Also guessing it may want a cool period. Hamiltonii always looks shirty for me...
    D. trinervia gets red, short, stubby leaves under bright conditions too. Here's another D. aliciae in the same pot, just exposed to more sun. Partially out of focus because I didn't stop down the lens to get a better DOF. This one's trying to imitate D. slackii for leaf shape.

D. aliciae
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post

D. trinervia gets red, short, stubby leaves under bright conditions too. Here's another D. aliciae in the same pot, just exposed to more sun. Partially out of focus because I didn't stop down the lens to get a better DOF. This one's trying to imitate D. slackii for leaf shape.

full sun

partial

back side of greenhouse away from door

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I grow my D. aliciae under lights. I've moved them from bright conditions (well bright for my setup) to lower light conditions. They still do the same thing. Look nice for a little while, then spend the rest of their time trying to die. It's one species that doesn't like me. D. hamiltonii looks nice just about anywhere I put it. It's practically a weed for me now.

My D. aliciae, only one left lol. I think I have a night time visitor of some sort. I have slime trails in a few of my pots, but it never seems to munch on anything.

D. hamilitonii

D. hamilitonii in another location. Some of these will find their way into the NASC auction.

Beautiful full sun D. aliciae Mach! They don't even look like D. aliciae as compact as they are. A few months ago I had a pot full that looked similar to your last photo. When I repotted everything I believe I just threw them out they looked so bad. I can't find them, so I'm thinking that's what I did. I have some seeds left, guess I need to sow some more.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sun was down when i took a look at my D. hamiltonii and they are nice and dewy again. Probably from the high humidity from rain. I'll have to take better pictures if the sun comes out tomorrow;

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-11-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude! That hamiltonii is going to bloom! Congrats and 'hope you get a picture.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I hope my D. hamiltonnii flower some day!

@Kula: Seeing how red those 'dews are outside gets me excited for summer. I'm putting a few tropicals and semi-tropicals outside this year.

I'll post some pics later today of some meh looking plants.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Good plants

D. collinsiae is putting out tall leaves again after flowering. I keep on accidentally touching the ends of the leaves, so the tentacles are strange and there is no dew on the ends of the leaves. It's still healthy, though.

D. burmannii Pilliga red is looking nice. I'm hoping for a flower stalk soon.

Bad

Aliciae form that is sensitive to minerals or something in the peat. It sometimes makes deformed leaves

ugly

No colour in the oblanceolata seedlings yet. Only a couple leaves on each with colour. I've been feeding them a lot.

Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast