What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

isnt D. glabripes a winter growing sundew, and should be kept along the lines of D. cistiflora?

Nope, natural range overlaps with D. aliciae, indeed will hybridize naturally to make D. ×corithica. Another plant that is very difficult to keep alive long term.

that being said, i decided to pull the plant out of it's pot and left it in a covered bag with dim light in LFS. to my pleasant surprise i found 2 plantlets--light deprived but plants never the less. phew! now here's to seeing the graomo roots strike!

how persistent the cold temps. Got no concept. we might get down to the 30's overnight but i doubt that it will stay that long for any period of time. Will that make a differnce?

Just one night so far, otherwise mid 40s. In my experience that's all it takes.

hmmm time to start closing the greenhouse door ....

Wooly Bully

D. paradoxa
MF1 - with pup (MF1a?)
IMGP3622.jpg

MF2
IMGP3624.jpg

Seed grown
IMGP3633.jpg

IMGP3636.jpg

IMGP3637.jpg

D. petiolaris
IMGP3625.jpg

IMGP3629.jpg

And something rare - D. glabripes seedlings. Slow germination, took 3 months.
Nurseries in the US say they have this species for sale but what they have is actually D. ×corinthiaca
IMGP3606.jpg

IMGP3605.jpg

IMGP3604.jpg

note the characteristic stipules, this one is just beginning to form a stem.

Last edited:
very exciting Warren! glad to see your petiolaris dews looking so robust! and that glabripes! good luck growing it! i hear it is actually very difficult to keep in cultivation.

'Really like the D. paradoxas - a very nice collection. Good shots of the D. glabripes seedlings, and congrats!

Awesome looking drosera! Love the clump of petiolaris. :bigthumpup:

Drosera esmeraldae
IMGP3667.jpg

More Woolies

D. falconeri after a haircut
IMGP3642.jpg

D. aff. ordensis needing a haircut
IMGP3654.jpg

IMGP3650.jpg

IMGP3653.jpg

IMGP3658.jpg

IMGP3660.jpg

The trimmings. After I put the plant back into the tank I realized I didn't take an after picture. Guess this will have to do:
IMGP3663.jpg

hahaha. some of my petiolaris need haircuts as well. ordensis is soo hard to cut into. beautiful plants as always!

Drosera rotundifolia Big Lagoon, CA

Last year I selected one of the best out of this pot for myself and gave the rest away either in the NASC auction, trades or giveaways.
biglagoondocopy.jpg

Soon after it became a crestated mess:
IMGP3675.jpg

Rather than try to pull the mess apart or start over from seed two weeks ago I took a few cuttings. Here is one of the cuttings as of today:
rotwang.jpg

More from the Cuttings Corner:
D. regia (either clone C or clone R1 I forgot to label the cuttings. Oopsie!)
IMGP3689.jpg

IMGP3690.jpg

And before it expired I managed to get a strike from a cutting of my 3.5+ year old D. glabripes. I've only been trying to get cuttings going from this species for over 4 years. Very difficult to cultivate long term or propagate.
IMGP3686.jpg

IMGP3687.jpg

IMGP3692.jpg

All those happy little regias! Those are root-cutting plantlets? As always I like the inset ruler.

YOU HAD EVEN MORE PICTURES TO SHARE!?

way too cool. sadness about glabripes only lasting for 3.5 years....i wonder if that is actually part of it's natural life cycle. and regia...wow. awesome!

Yes, root cuttings.

Whoops, forgot the D. graminifolia plantlets. Just about time to come out of the water.
gram.jpg

Looking great! It's interesting to see how totally different that CA origin D. rotundifolia is compared to the local Alaskan varieties. Do you grow them under lights?

Little D. regia's :cry: !

Awesome collection!

I have 4 regia seedlings myself. I've grown them from seeds but I notice they are slow growers and when I feed a leaf (bloodworms, tiny bits), that leaf always dies. Have you noticed this as well ?

By the way, completely in love with your rotundifolia pot. Mine are dormant on the balcony right now but about the size of a dime compared to yours...

Is the bloodworm freeze dried? Misting lightly to re-hydrate the bloodworm makes the task of digestion much easier. Otherwise the dry bits tend to soak up the moisture in the dew and the glands may not be able to produce enough to compensate before the gland dries out. Leads to incomplete digestion (indigestion)?

With seedlings I only feed one leaf at a time and try to clean off the left overs before feeding again.

Now that I acquired an adapter that allows me to use my old film camera lenses with the digital body I have I took a couple test shots today using my macro bellows:

Drosera venusta in all shots.

25mm enlarger lens. Some digital noise and crap on the sensor apparent. ISO 640.
IMGP3778.jpg

35mm macro lens
IMGP3781.jpg

IMGP3785.jpg

I'll have to photograph a scale/ruler to see what kind of magnification I'm getting. I did with my film camera but I lost the notes.

t'is a monster!

Nice macros! Exceptional quality for the level of magnification.

Back