What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

Not looking good with the supposed D. ultramafica. This was from the same batch as Ron's plant. The stipules should be red. Andreas Fleischmann in the paper says all varieties of D. spatulata have papery white or transparent stipules:

IMGP8288.jpg

Re: hybrid - I got no seed from my plant although I haven't completely dried the pods yet. The ones I sliced open have no seeds. As far as I can tell the flowers look like D. capensis flowers - the only D. aliciae characteristic I can see are maybe the glands on the scape, sepals and pedicels. The plants may not be mature enough since they were deflasked at the beginning of summer.

Re: hybrid - I got no seed from my plant although I haven't completely dried the pods yet. The ones I sliced open have no seeds. As far as I can tell the flowers look like D. capensis flowers - the only D. aliciae characteristic I can see are maybe the glands on the scape, sepals and pedicels. The plants may not be mature enough since they were deflasked at the beginning of summer.

Sometimes my capensis x aliciae would not make seeds, but other times they would make a huge amount. I know for sure that I had one plants that didn't make seeds and the other two did.

Well if it is fertile I'd lean towards it just being a broadleaf D. capensis. Natural alloploids can occur (as with the Butterfly Valley D. × hybrida - its not as rare as you might think). Some gametes are produced with the full set of chromosomes and if two of these fuse the result can be fertile offspring. Colchicine treatment does the same by doubling the chromosomes. See this webpage for the theory: http://www.macroevolution.net/polyploid.html#.UIWuUq48qF9

The seed is viable I take it. Some hybrids will produce seed that is not viable.

Last edited:
If the BCP provided "D. ultramafica" is actually something other than, I find myself in the same boat as the two of you. The stipules on my 1/2" plantlets look pinkish on several of them but I'm not too sure. On other plants they are certainly white/transparent. I did have a larger plant, 'don't remember the stipule color, that most definitely had formed a stem. I've grown D. spatulata and these don't have the look to my eye, though I also realize there is quite a lot of variation in that species and I haven't seen all variants.

Ooh. I like that D.capensis x aliciae. :love:

D. "ultramafica" - this thing is looking more and more like D. spatulata every day. Being too lazy to rearrange my plant shelf so I could get at this because of the flower I put it on the windowsill. Note the lack of upright leaves except for those that are in the process of opening.

I'm not sure if this is from BCP or CZ Plants. Maybe Ron knows. And they're getting 10-12 euros for these? One of the nurseries in Australia sells D. spatulata 'Tamlin' for one Australian penny in appreciation of the help he gave in sorting out the IDs of most of their Drosera inventory.

IMGP8359.jpg

The Tamlin Dawnstar rule of D. spatulata: If it looks like spatulata it is spatulata.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like spatulata!

Mine still looks like a pile of fetid garbage. But I'm restarting from leaf cuttings, so I should have some nicer results soon. Still having major mould issues with mine. They are the most fresh from TC plants I've ever received. Still acclimating after several months.

On the D. ultramafica vs spatulata, it sounds like Herr Fleischmann believes the latest plants being shared everywhere are actually D. ultramafica x spatulata hybrids - not pure spatulata.
I kinda figured that when Herr Fleischmann siad that our plants were a hybrid, the debate stopped. I don't think I've ever known him to be wrong.

I'm not sure if this is from BCP or CZ Plants. Maybe Ron knows.
While I am not certain, I don't believe our plants came from either vendor. However, there's a very good chance that the original source of the hybrid is the same...

I currently have 2 of the 'real' seedlings looking like they will survive (I know - famous last words) and another needing a miracle. At least we're getting out of the hotter weather - so they have a better shot at survival. ???
The one seedling in the 1st pot died. The seedling in the 2nd pot is still growing and now upon closer inspection has several siblings:
Dultramaficaseedlings102512RS.jpg

Well if it is a hybrid, the hybridization must have taken place in cultivation. In Fleischmann et al paper on D. ultramafica they state that no hybrids were found along with D. ultrimafica for the simple reason that D. spatulata does/will/can not grow in ultramafic soils. If it is a hybrid of D. ultramafica × spatulata is it sterile or fertile? If fertile seed from the hybrid (F2 generation) has been going around then the implication would be that D. ultramafica is not a species but a form/var/ssp of D. spatulata. That was the test Robert Gibson applied to D. neocaledonica - the hybrid was sterile. I've not know Robert Gibson to be wrong either.

Last time I checked the seedlings from Robert Gibson were still not growing and down to 2 survivors. According to Ivan when he examined the seedlings he saw red stipules which would suggest they are indeed D. ultramafica.

loving the side shoots, they are very cute

drosoocto.jpg

D. tomentosa stalk
Dtomentosa102612RS.jpg

How are you growing this one Ron?

How are you growing this one Ron?
Poorly. :cry:

I received it with the D. ultramafica & quickly potted it in a peat-based media. Later, I realized that I probably should have used LFS instead of peat (I tend to have better luck w/ LFS-based media for SA dews). However, once it got ahead of the various mosses, I figured I'd let it go for a while & see how it does -- then this very cool stalk appeared. ???

well, you're growing it way better than mine. mine is currently brown and crispy.... and i wouldnt discredit you so much on not utilizing LFS. many europeans do not use LFS in their soil mixes, so you cant be too off.

IMGP8367.jpg

deep pot test
IMGP8366.jpg

IMGP8362.jpg

IMGP8373.jpg

IMGP8361.jpg

@ NaN: is that a hamiltonii in the middle? The photos look great!

@Rl and Ampy: I ain't got no sphagnum in my SA dew mediums! *Snaps fingers* All the plants in LFS and sand kicked the bucket. It was probably due to the tray collapse at the time and the fact that peat holds water better than sphagnum (long term). They do fine, and I believe any inadequacy in their appearance is due to my lower temps and humidity plus the distance from the lights.

And that plant looks wonderful. Love the hairy scapes. Need to get this species.

Warren, are those all hamiltonii? I know I see one tuberous, but what are the last few?

double post whoopsey

all my sa dews seem to grow fine in a 50/50 peat perlite mix,just my two pence worth

Back