What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

PC144611_zps3a90fdd7.jpg

Drosera venusta var. natalensis, if I've got the name aligned with current taxonomy.

First I've heard of it. I would imagine it to be the other way around since D. natalensis was described decades before D. venusta.

Drosera glabripes

dglabripes2-1.jpg

dglabripes3-1.jpg

D. venusta

dvenusta2-1.jpg

The name coccicaulis is bogus. Nobody knows who came up with the name or even where the plants came from. Without that information and type specimens taken from a natural location it never be a valid species. There are various stories floating around on the origin of the name - the one you'll hear most is that Debbert used it as a cover name for D. venusta. If you think about it how is using a never-heard-of-before species epithet for a yet undescribed and un-named species is going to keep people from asking too many questions is beyond me. And "coccicaulis" translated from Latin literally means "berry stem". How does that make any sense? An alternate translation would be "scarlet stem". Since the plant isn't stem forming one would think it refers then to the the flower stem. Most of the South African Drosera flower stems will turn red in bright lighting. So again it makes no sense.

Robert Gibson studied "coccicaulis" and concluded it is related to D. natalensis and D. venusta. But again since no one knows where the plants came from they can't be studied in-situ and thus will never be accepted as valid.

This helps us to understand the state of the names but suggests there is more of the story that is yet untold. I believe I will treat D. venusta and D. natalensis as separate species until I see reason to lump them together. Though I haven't compared flowers they certainly don't look a lot alike to my eye.

Beautiful plants! I went through the entire thread. Can't wait to see more & contribute sometime. :)

D. cistiflora
IMGP9766copy.jpg

D. admirabilis "holotype, small form"
IMGP9796copy.jpg

D. venusta
IMGP1159copy.jpg

D. glabripes
IMGP1149copy.jpg

IMGP1150copy.jpg

IMGP9740copy.jpg

D. ultramafica × ? (presumed to be D. utramafica × spatulata)
IMGP1155copy.jpg

IMGP97581copy.jpg

IMGP97591copy.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Glanduligera! One of my very favorites. I intend to acquire one some day.

D. glabripes looks pretty awesome! Neat dews:)

That's a very nice group of D. admirabilis, NaN. 'Nice to see the D. cistiflora doing so well.

Drosera graomogolensis
8339004225_506b5f90cb_b.jpg

Drosera slackii BCP clone
8338990649_d0b0c9949b_c.jpg

Drosera x [anglica "CA x HI" x "Lantau Island"]
8339014655_6856fd3e0d_c.jpg

dang devon. your photog continues to get better. im in LOVE with that last shot!!! great use of focus and bokeh! also, great growing the slackii, very few specimens in cultivation can achieve that red color on the leaves. you're doing something right!

as some of you with south american dews might know, some species undergo stasis when placed in perimeters that are outside their comfort zone, and continue to stay that way despite returning them to optimal conditions. usually, they remain in this stasis for months, and then crash. however, for some weird reason, my D. roraimae decided to return, making its first developed trap and a second leaf also looks like it is going to fully develop as well! looks like this plant is going to make a full recovery!

_MG_6591.png

Been there, done that. Don't get your hopes up too high. They'll look like they're coming out of it and slide back into a coma and then continue to decline.

Hahaha. You negative nancy. :p
Well thanks for for the pep talk..... I hope it doesn't.

Where there is green there is hope. I've watched a pot of six of them go into a coma and some looking like they were starting to grow again - never resuming normal growth - and then shutting down again until they expired. Two other pots did exactly the same. 3 different locations. Cerro Audua seemed to be the most hardy. They'll keep teasing you to close to a year.

Quick and dirty "Cross-eyed" 3-D - Drosera glabripes. Look at the center of the picture and cross your eyes until you see three images. Focus on the center image - you should see the 3-D effect.
dew2copy.jpg

I've got a very similar problem with D. roraimae. Since being transplanted last Sept. my largest plant has gone into some sort of stasis with a top cluster of unformed leaves. On the other hand I have two plantlets formed from leave cuttings off of the same plant that are happy as can be. Both are growing in the same terra. I'm mystified.

I really like the 3-D photo (nice plants too.) Would you be willing share how you made it, NaN?

D. regia
image_zpsa51a54dc.jpg

I can't cross my eyes...

Back