What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

As I cross my eyes with difficulty I image you guys leaning into your screens with crossed eyes too. :lol:

here is my frasier island , thanks to crystall.
IMG_1563.jpg

Not a Number, really nice stereo image....
I've seen some before, and that one is one of the best I have seen.
Some really lack a wide focal plane, and look just barely 3D, but that one looks fully 3D.
It looks like I have a pot of gablripes sitting on my keyboard.

What is your technique for making them?

For the people who have trouble seeing it, they can be really hard to see if you haven't done it before.
Just keep trying, and you will get it eventually.
It is easiest if you are not right up next to the screen, but rather 18" or so back from it.

To present a stereo vision effect (aka "3D") you need to present the left and right eye with images take at slightly different angles. So basically take one photo then shift the camera position to the right or left about 2.5-3 inches (average distance between the centers of the human eyes). With a small subject I use a tripod and a focus rail. The rail is set so the horizontal movement is perpendicular to the subject. Exposure, zoom should be the same in both photos - use manual modes. Everything as much as possible should be in focus, horizontal lines should be parallel with the top or bottom frame line, vertical position should be the same in each frame. You may have to fix this in post-processing. Paste the "left-eye" image on the left, the "right-eye" on the right. If you don't get a stereo effect try swapping the positions. If properly photographed flipping back and forth through the right/left images should appear to be rotating slightly to the right and left.

You can do the post-processing in most photo-editors such as Photoshop and/or use StereoPhotoMaker (freeware) which has some nice tools for aligning and cropping the image. Exposure, level adjustment and sharpening is better done in Photoshop or whatever. You can also create "anaglyph" 3D images - but you need red/blue or magenta/green eyeglasses to view them. StereoPictureMaker will make interlaced photos for use with "shutter" eyeglasses with some Sharp monitors (the system 3D TV monitors are using).

If you have trouble crossing your eyes try making a frame with your hands and holding the "frame" less than halfway between your eyes and the monitor. Focus on the frame and move it back and forth until you see the stereo image.

Here's the presumed hybrid D. ultramafica × spatulata. I think the effect works nicely with this one.
xIMGP2577copy.jpg

Wow, that one is great...
I just made one (by hand) of a D. peltata. I'll post it once I resize it (from 2.2 MB). It is a bit harder to line up than yours are.
I also made one of a capensis leaf, but again it is more difficult to form the image, as these pictures were not done carefully.

OK, I've got the pics on photobucket.
Here they are:

Drosera peltata:
Stereo_Drosera_peltata_Small_zps9bce51c9.jpg

You need to tilt your head a bit for this one.

Drosera capensis:
Stereo_Drosera_capensis_Small_zps36ec1217.jpg

Focus on the bottom part of thie image first. The alignment was not very good, and the leaf bends toward you. If you get yourself oriented on the bottom section of the image first, it is much easier.

I tweaked these a little in StereoPictureMaker. I did some vertical alignment and swapped the left and right images on both and moved the D. capensis a bit closer together. You can to some extent control where the virtual fore/background is with the horizontal separation.

xStereo_Drosera_capensis_Small_zps36ec1217.jpg

xStereo_Drosera_peltata_Small_zps9bce51c9.jpg

(pictures by bananaman)

I found an app that makes these super easy to make.

Drosera adelae

tumblr_mhrhe5cOa61rcbt5ho1_1280.jpg

My big tray with all of my plants

tumblr_mhrpq7QVQA1rcbt5ho1_1280.jpg

D. ramentacea (or at least i'm pretty sure it's the real thing).
IMG_1637_zps7b891433.jpg

IMG_1626_zps3fdb4a58.jpg

IMG_1632_zpsb1039831.jpg

Drosera hamiltonii deep pot test - they seem to color up best in the winter - more response to red (or is it blue in winter) end of light spectrum? I've noticed the same with Cephalotus which grow in the same areas in Australia.
IMGP2671.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the instructions for 3-D NaN. A very cool effect. I especially like the way the resolution increases in the viewed image.

@GemStateC - Those are some nice-looking plants. 'Don't see D. ramentacea often. 'Reminds me strongly of D. hilaris.

@bluemax - Thanks! I was a little concerned it was D. hilaris at first.
D. tomentosa hairy and glabrous flower stalk forms:
P2050218_zps635fa349.jpg

P2050219_zps65f0ac5e.jpg

P2050225_zps72c0cf4b.jpg

P2050226_zpsc7adb5eb.jpg

And happy almost Valentine's Day. Compliments of D. 'Dork's Pink'.
P2110279_zps5952bd09.jpg

P2070232_zpsbfaede7d.jpg

I hate to muddy up such sweet photography in this thread, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

'albino' x aliciae
albinoxaliciae004_zps896636bc.jpg

I call this little number a big mess.
2-16-13CPtent003_zpsab2e3d9f.jpg

How many dews can you spot in this pot?

Last edited:
'albino' x aliciae from a different angle. Look at them stipules!
communisspatetc009_zps5779dac3.jpg

D. capensis x aliciae has such robust leaves!
D. prolifera flowers: It looks like some pollen actually made it onto the stigmas. I'm not sure if this plant can self pollinate but some seed would be very interesting.
P2200294_zpsde711fea.jpg

P2200290_zps7629e09e.jpg

Those are awesome!

D. graomogolensis
IMGP2823copy.jpg

Hamiltonii
P2230299_zpsc28da2e8.jpg

P2230301_zpsd339dee4.jpg

P2230302_zps72918dd1.jpg

spatulata x capensis
P2230304_zpsd0f9f4b6.jpg

P2230308_zps0af12583.jpg

Communis var breviscapa (spatulata??). It seems to need more light than the average sundew to color up.
P2230318_zpsf8d63850.jpg

P2230320_zpscf7393d5.jpg

P2230321_zps20ab5895.jpg

I repotted my Drosera Adelae, and found 5 small plants growing off of the roots. :)

icUP9WFAjFy7K.jpg

iVNC5MSIMBYpy.jpg

iNq06GwWuTUWj.jpg

just want to show this little guy off,been missing these flowers(work is the scrooge of the gardening classes)but finally i give you a d.puchella flower
flowerstalkvft12102012098_zps08105412.jpg

Back