What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

Stuff waking up for the winter
D. trinervia - this colony is over 7 year old now
IMGP6880copy_zpsdec9f8b7.jpg

D. cistiflora pink flower
IMGP6893copy_zps90e5df84.jpg

IMGP6889copy_zps5a9f4da3.jpg

D. hookeri
IMGP6877copy_zpsb2873e1a.jpg

IMGP6870copy_zps12111c1a.jpg

D. hamiltonii - the blue pot I'm hoping contains a different clone from the others and maybe I can get seed this summer. These are dewy most of the time in deep pots.
IMGP6891copy_zps2b27056d.jpg

IMGP6890copy_zps6fb58ba8.jpg

IMGP6879copy_zps482509e5.jpg

D. admirabilis
IMGP6884copy_zpse3a52cd0.jpg

D. aliciae
IMGP6887copy_zpsf96dad8b.jpg

IMGP6888copy_zps2c4fac57.jpg

Nice looking plants! My cistiflora and hookeri woke up a month or two ago, but your cistiflora are a lot larger than mine.... I hope I can keep them through another summer....

nice NAN,especially like your hamiltonii,how deep are the pots ,i have a couple of small plants from leaf cuttings and would like to plant them up soon,cheers

Last edited:
D. Madagascariensis

Was shipped from Alaska, which in hindsight was a mistake. We'll see if he survives.

D. Graomogolensis

The top one is in a shoebox container with LFS growing. The bottom one is in a Dunecraft cube terra, and is doing a bit ... I was gonna say bad, but "different." That oddly shaped leaf in the first one is growing straight up, almost like capensis or filiformis, but is just as big as the ones on the other plant I think it needs to be moved a bit more under the lights.

D. Spatulata

The two that are doing the best. Note all the siblings that didn't survive shipping.

D. Filiformis 'Florida Red?'

I don't think it does but... does D. Filiformis send up a non-carnivorous leaf initially? It's either that or the Mosser Lee LFS has grass seed in it, again.

nice NAN,especially like your hamiltonii,how deep are the pots ,i have a couple of small plants from leaf cuttings and would like to plant them up soon,cheers

I'd recommend 6 inch or deeper. They seem much happier with consistent dew production and hopefully flowers. They don't produce as many offshoots so if propagation is your aim use shallower (4 inch or so) pots.

D. Madagascariensis

Was shipped from Alaska, which in hindsight was a mistake. We'll see if he survives.

D. Graomogolensis

The top one is in a shoebox container with LFS growing. The bottom one is in a Dunecraft cube terra, and is doing a bit ... I was gonna say bad, but "different." That oddly shaped leaf in the first one is growing straight up, almost like capensis or filiformis, but is just as big as the ones on the other plant I think it needs to be moved a bit more under the lights.

D. Spatulata

The two that are doing the best. Note all the siblings that didn't survive shipping.

D. Filiformis 'Florida Red?'

I don't think it does but... does D. Filiformis send up a non-carnivorous leaf initially? It's either that or the Mosser Lee LFS has grass seed in it, again.

The first leaves from a seed are cotyledons which are non-carnivorous so unless it is a germinating seed it probably isn't D. filiformis. Which by the way would probably be dormant unless it is one of the "Florida Red" that doesn't go dormant (not all of them are dormancy free).

Excellent! Happy growing!

Cheers NAN,i will have some in shallow and some in deep and see how they grow

The first leaves from a seed are cotyledons which are non-carnivorous so unless it is a germinating seed it probably isn't D. filiformis. Which by the way would probably be dormant unless it is one of the "Florida Red" that doesn't go dormant (not all of them are dormancy free).

Excellent! Happy growing!

It is Florida Red, and it is germinating seed - just donno if it's a weed seed or filiformis. :D Three batches, one was in the fridge, one was in it's own clay pot, and one was in a pot of LFS. The only activity has been the one from the fridge - which is that photo up there.

However, I seem to remember from the last time I tried to grow it, Filiformis's cotyledons still have dew on them?

D. filiformis seedlings have short, thin cotyledons lacking dew much like other sundew seedlings. FL red are no exception, so the plant you have there is one of those wayward grass plants. There would also be no need to have a FL Red pot in the fridge, as cold stratification and cold dormancy are not needed at all. Also, it seems filiformis do better in a pot with a high amount of sand or perlite in the mix, not so much sphagnum or peat, at least the Florida forms do.

@ Not a Number: 'Looking good. My one D. cistiflora that has come back was supposed to be a pink flower but it shows no red pigment at all so comparing it to yours I am guessing it is really a white flowered plant. You've got the touch for this species, I'd say.

@ Jimscott: I really like the first plant. Is that a D. capensis hybrid?

It's D. capensis 'Braodleaf'.

Thought I'd take a stab at this.

106_1737.jpg

D. capensis 'Narrow Leaf' after a nice, warm, humid night with some new leaves unfurling. I wish the sun was out so the dew drops could have glittered and done it more justice, but oh well. There are a bunch of bits caught in the leaves because I recently repotted it.

D. schizandra

D. cuneifolia Table Mountain
Just watered so looks a little flat.

That's a nice-looking schizandra!

this has been an interesting dew to grow,D.hilaris and the pot really hope it flowers

Well here is something unexpected so soon, one of the D. hamiltonii Esperance SW Australia plants is starting to flower. Before my other plants of this species didn't flower until May-June. I'm still hoping this is a different clone genetically from my plants labeled only as Western Australia. If they are and I can get them to flower at the same time I'm hoping for seed.
IMGP7066_zps38b45309.jpg

IMGP7082_zps9b592531.jpg

These are the two different batches side by side. There are perceivable difference which may not be actual genetically. Time (and a lot of luck) will tell. Esperance vs WA (left to right).
IMGP7077_zps9e960ab1.jpg

Esperance vs WA
IMGP7069_zps6f696c17.jpg

IMGP7070_zps8ee64505.jpg

Drosera aberrans finally decided to wake up
IMGP7079_zps0358ea1b.jpg

D. cistiflora pink flower continued
IMGP7075_zpsc6f3bb42.jpg

IMGP7074_zpsa5faea53.jpg

The notorious Butterfly Valley D. ×hybrida alloploid (fertile) was coming out of dormancy while still in the fridge so outside it goes.
IMGP7081_zps40d9b300.jpg

Hamiltonii.... definitely one I need to get growing at some point....
I like the cistiflora too! I have a couple pots of the purple form, but they're staying painfully small and aren't climbing yet. Nice to see a mature plant of any form.

Hamiltonii.... definitely one I need to get growing at some point....
I like the cistiflora too! I have a couple pots of the purple form, but they're staying painfully small and aren't climbing yet. Nice to see a mature plant of any form.
Do you know how long it takes for them to start climbing? I saw some for sale a month ago but they looked like rosettes, so I didn't buy them.

My D. capensis, D. capillaris "Alabama" and D. aliciae are all in bloom right now! The D. capensis has 2 stalks (one is tiny and hard to see), the D. capillaris has an amazing 4 stalks (I think the crown split into 2 plants) and the D. aliciae just has the one. Group shot! (click for very big)

And the D. aliciae.

Looking forward to having some nice seed in a month or so :)

great looking dews people ,really healthy D. cistiflora and d.hamiltonii ,nicely done NAN

Back