What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Just random pictures of Drosera taken from time to time. Feel free to add your own. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Doesn't matter.

Drosera falconeri. Coloring up nicely now that I finally got around to changing one of the tubes (old).
Before (about six months ago):
_IGP0598a.jpg

After changing tube (changed about 4 weeks prior):
IMGP1680copy.jpg

IMGP1677.jpg

Drosera trinervia

Going...
_IGP0709.jpg

going...
_IGP0754.jpg

going...
IMGP0768.jpg

Gone! (to sleep aka dormancy)
IMGP1682copy.jpg

*golf claps*

Thanks for sharing, they look wonderful! :)

jolly good show:-O

*golf claps*
*smacks zu with driver*

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

what is a tube (as in lighting tube?)
that falconari looks awesome

That is quite a lovely mass of D. falconeri! Are the D. trinervia seed-grown or from cuttings?

- Mark

I acquired the D. trinervia potted but they are seed grown.

Tube as in fluorescent lamp, a plant gro-light in this case. Not much on lumens but great for the color as you can see.

Always keep your eye on the ball and a firm grip on your club.

Last edited:
NIIiiiicee falconeri... dah-rool.

Does D. trinervia need to go dormant? I thought it was a year-round species like capensis.

where is the bad and the ugly? my trinervia are just coming back to life here in New Zealand where its spring I guess they survive dormancy rather than need it they look terrible over the winter here.

D. trinervia is a winter grower and goes dormant in the summer. Without dormancy they will not flower and grow much slower. After dormancy the growth spurt is remarkable, immature plants and seedlings will quickly double from their pre-dormancy size in a very short time until they reach their mature size. Plants not given proper dormancy eventually died. See my earlier post.

Love the trinervia. :drool: I tried sprouting some of those once, but did not succeed.

I just had to throw out a pot of seedlings that was completely covered with moss.

I've been trying various conditions, they take 4-8 weeks to germinate. Maybe less if you treat at least 24 hours with GA3.

Sown uncovered, same conditions as the parent plants have been grown in: room temperatures with morning sunlight. Media kept very wet - water nearly to the surface of the medium.

What didn't work - bagged under lights at room temperatures. Bagged under lights tropical temperatures (85-90°F days 75-80°F nights). After three months with no germination these batches were changed to the uncovered conditions and they germinated within 6 weeks.

Playing with a "new" old lens.

The Good - D. hamiltonii - continues to push up offshoots since I repotted at the beginning of summer. There were only 3-4 plants in there when I finished repotting.
IMGP1991.jpg

The Bad - D. graomogolensis - indoors to avoid cold weather and on the windowsill. The pot is too tall to fit under my lights so it loses the characteristic red color of the species. They seem to develop the "helical" twist of the leaves indoors too.
IMGP1977copy.jpg

The Ugly - oopsie! What happened there? D. graomogolensis will crash like this. But then there are at least 3 offshoots from the one plant so....
IMGP1981copy.jpg

and then there are always a few pots of 'em laying around...
IMGP1993copy.jpg

IMGP1998copy.jpg

So do the graos just spontaneously generate new plantlets in the same way hamiltonii does?

- Mark

Yep. They grow best in tall pots. D. hamiltonii will produce more offshoots in shallower pots. With them it seems when the roots go horizontal they start putting out offshoots. Maybe a survival mechanism to spread the plants out to find deeper soil?

Oh that's so great, NaN, everything looks awesome!!! :laaa:

I missed this post the first time around. Very nice looking Petiolaris Complex! Everything Australian stands out to me.

swing with the hips, not with the arms! Looks awesome NaN :)

The Bad - D. glabripes - most difficult species I've run across to keep alive more than 3-4 years. Difficult to propagate from cuttings, rarely flowers in cultivation. Fortunately I did get one cutting to strike after trying 4-5 years and acquired some seed. It started to decline at the beginning of summer, started to recover then got hit with aphids. Either the aphids or the pesticides or both were the last straw.
IMGP2342.jpg

The Good - D. venusta "coccicaulis" cold weather tests tempertures dipped to 39°F (4°C) this week so far no ill effects.
IMGP2338.jpg

The Ugly - D. graomogolensis - same cold weather trials. These look very unhappy. Normally cold exposure is fatal to other South American species - a long lingering death over 10-12 months usually. For those growing these outdoors keep an eye on the temperatures.
IMGP2335copy.jpg

compare to a control group growing on the windowsill
IMGP2344.jpg

beautiful plants regardless... these plants are so amazing... even while many of us have tons and tons of growing experience, they find ways to aggravate and drive us insane...

isnt D. glabripes a winter growing sundew, and should be kept along the lines of D. cistiflora?

also, i found great news! i made an overseas order about 4 months ago, and with it i had purchased a D. ascendens which was already a sickly yellow. upon opening the bag, it turned black. XD
that being said, i decided to pull the plant out of it's pot and left it in a covered bag with dim light in LFS. to my pleasant surprise i found 2 plantlets--light deprived but plants never the less. phew! now here's to seeing the graomo roots strike!

Back