What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera coccicaulis vs. venusta

I originally thought there was no difference...

So, is there? Does anyone know exactly what the difference is? Is it just different locations?

Just locations, I believe.

See these threads:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82254&page=4)
http://ocps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sundews&action=display&thread=1856

When I first started with CP's I had venusta and coccicaulis and I could swear I could see differences between them. Now, three years on, I've noticed differences in the same plants from season to season which are more pronounced than the differences I noticed between the "species". I think dielsiana and natalensis are also considered the same species. I DO find that venusta and coccicaulis have a more erect habit than the others - their leaves stand up while dielsiana and natalensis lay perfectly flat.

And then they self-seed all over the collection and you have no idea what's sprouting. Just a lot of LSAJs (Little South African Jobs)

Last edited:
Who's to say really? So many of the Drosera in cultivation are incorrectly identified or mislabeled. Labels get lost or mixed up. Someone identifies a plant as something else at relabels it and it gets spread around with the new label - correct or not. One nursery in Australia sells D. × corinthiaca (D. aliciea × glabripes) as D. glabripes. It gets bought by other nurseries and sold as D. glabripes. People trade it as D. glabripes. Perhaps it is fortunate it is an infertile hybrid and even more difficult to grow than true D. glabripes.

From some of the reading online I've done D. coccicaulis is allegedly a bogus name that someone came up with just to sell more plants.

As far as telling them apart - well see Tamlin's post in the thread referred to above and consult the Magic 8 Ball.

Last edited:
I asked if D. coccicaulis is really a species - the answer: "Very doubtful". The 8 Ball has spoken!

- Mark

LOL! There's always D. roundandstickia.....

the invalid name D. coccicaulis was created by Paul Debbert, who described D. venusta. The name was created because Paul´s plants were kept in an "open greenhouse" with easy access to everybody and he created it to protect the new, still undescribed species from theft (Paul Debbert, personal communication). So all your D. coccicaulis are D. venusta.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=553916&postcount=38

But I have seen several different forms of D. venusta, albeit they don't look entirely different from D. venusta "Coccicaulis" (which is the way i've seen it written before)

Makes sense. People won't take interest in an undescribed species labeled as something nobody heard before and eventually give it a name that nobody heard before.

Interesting...anyone know more about dielsiana and natalensis and there relation to venusta/coccicaulis?

Hmm, so should I change D. coccicaulis "albino" to D. venusta "coccicaulis, albino" ?

@Jpappy: I think that D. dielsiana and D. natalensis are different in seed shape. I heard from Cplantaholic (I think) that D. dielsiana seeds are round, and D. natalensis are not.

Also, it is just my opinion, that D. natalensis and D. venusta should not be classified as the same. The upright leaves of D. venusta really set it apart from D. natalensis to me. But, they have the same leaf shape and those tall flower stalks with similar flowers, and they both grow in South Africa, right? I dunno though, it's just my opinion. :p

Good to know. I currently have venusta but am starting the other two from seed. I love having more plants but would be a shame if they are just going to be the same thing...

Arise, Zombie Thread!

But I do this with a good reason - I still see "coccicaulis" being used in the trade and hobby, and I have a question.

While it's easy enough to find discussions about "coccicaulis" simply being a "nomen dubium" or whatever the term is, from where did that particular plant originate? That I can't find. I like locality data, so if anyone knows where Debbert collected the particular plants that were given that name, that would be groovy.

The Magic 8 Ball said, "Without a doubt"! I don't believe it.

Back