What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating/growing tuberous and petiolaris sundew seeds, help needed

Brie

Sarracenia freak
Does anyone here have much experience in growing these guys from seed and able to give me a bit of a walk-through? From strat temps, times, substrate, etc? Just want to gather as many tips and tricks and ideas as possible.. Thank you!

These are the Petiolaris seeds I have and am wanting to start strat on:
D. ordensis
D. broomensis
D. ordensis x falconeri
D. ordensis x paradoxa

And two tuberous, D. erythrorhiza squamosa and D. macrophylla macrophylla

main thing is patience....ive had tuberous take months to germinate course some popped up as quick as capensis aswell......with zigzagia i think the first sprouted at 2 weeks but i still had some sprouting in the pot at 9 months....

main thing is patience....ive had tuberous take months to germinate course some popped up as quick as capensis aswell......with zigzagia i think the first sprouted at 2 weeks but i still had some sprouting in the pot at 9 months....

Yeah, i've read everything there is to read thats easily found on the internet so am aware of the basics and how long it takes... I just need technical data, from those who have done it before. With tuberous dews, the stuff you read is discouraging for the first time grower. So i'm just looking for detailed growing info.. Temps, media, time in strat, etc etc.

didnt pay much attention to my conditions....grow them like i grow everything else....put them in a pot and put the pot in a tray and either they grow or they dont.....if for some reason these two tuberous dont pan out try and find some zigzagia seeds.....me and a couple other growers are of the opinion its about as easy as a tuberous gets even if starting from seed...its fairly easy period....

i really dont have any experiance with petiolaris dews from seed.....tried a couple and didnt succeed but i didnt put serious effort into it either so dont really have an opinion....

i pretty well take the shotgun approach and just try a lil of everything and what likes my conditions grow and what dont doesnt.....i dont put alot of effort into much of anything other than slowly acclimating stuff fresh out of TC....im a set it and forget it kinda grower....

@brie: you should contact and individual by the name of Homer League...he's one of the big boys in the area of petiolaris complex drosera.

Aren't they pretty much polar opposites? General rule is to mimic the natural conditions based on their growth cycle, time of year, moisture level and temperatures.

Petiolaris are hot hot growers so I would think the seed need to be kept nice and warm and moist with Spring/Summer type hours. Best I can do on those since I have never grown many or tried them from seed.

The tuberous grow during the Winter when days are short and cool. Seed is produced in the Spring and sits over the Summer. Normally you sow them in the Spring, soak the pots then let them dry out and bake in the sun for the Summer without ANY watering. Since it is Fall already I would sow them and water them through the Winter. They may or many not germinate this Winter.. or next.. or the one after that or that.. etc etc. In any event.. It is important to get them sown soon so they have a long growing season before Spring rolls around. IF there is no germination - next May or so stop watering and let the pots sit in the sun for a few months and let them get dry dry dry, then resume watering around mid Sept.-mid Oct. IF there IS germination this year - Let the pots dry out when the seedlings yellow and brown. Resume watering in the Fall when you see sprouts poking through the sand where the seedlings are growing again from their tubers.

Use a sandy mix, something like 75%-80% sand and the rest peat, sprinkle the seeds on top of the mix and water carefully. The seeds should not be buried. Hope that helps, alot depends on how fresh the seed is and how it was stored.

good luck!

Does anyone here have much experience in growing these guys from seed and able to give me a bit of a walk-through? From strat temps, times, substrate, etc? Just want to gather as many tips and tricks and ideas as possible.. Thank you!

These are the Petiolaris seeds I have and am wanting to start strat on:
D. ordensis
D. broomensis
D. ordensis x falconeri
D. ordensis x paradoxa

And two tuberous, D. erythrorhiza squamosa and D. macrophylla macrophylla

I have not tried to germinate D. broomensis. The rest were pretty standard. Constant 90 + F. High humidity. Wet pot. Deep water tray. Then after germinating reduce water level.

Tony pretty much covered everything. I gave you a link to the germination recommendations from the best petiolaris grower I know of.

It's pretty late in the season to start tuberous seeds.

Tony pretty much covered everything. I gave you a link to the germination recommendations from the best petiolaris grower I know of.

It's pretty late in the season to start tuberous seeds.

Which link? Would you mind posting it again here? Whatever it was, I think I forgot to save it...

And will tuberous dew seeds keep in the fridge til spring?

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for the advice so far btw... Just realized I forgot to write down the awesome mix I made up for my paradoxa.. ugh!

yes I was also hoping to click away at that link... growing petiolaris-complex dews from seed soon myself.

yes I was also hoping to click away at that link... growing petiolaris-complex dews from seed soon myself.

Well, so far so good for mine.. So far I have germination/first carnivorous leaves on my D. falconeri x ordensis. I treated the seeds like adult plants, with the exception of individually bagging each pot(putting the pot in a ziplock baggy). I then stuck the pots in my petiolaris tank. Which is now full to capacity lol. See pic below. Temps are mid 90s-100 during the day, and no lower then 80 at night. Achieved by the tank being very close to 6 T5s, and a UTH under the small tank.

6304594594_a49dd40ed5_o.jpg

6304052249_19eec5c6bb_o.jpg

Which link? Would you mind posting it again here? Whatever it was, I think I forgot to save it...

And will tuberous dew seeds keep in the fridge til spring?

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for the advice so far btw... Just realized I forgot to write down the awesome mix I made up for my paradoxa.. ugh!

Um, so was this link ever posted here? Does it lead to another nursery and thus forbidden for public view?

Last edited:
Back