Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is my drosera dead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my drosera dead?

Is my drosera dead? I had a backyard project and I needed to move my plants temporarily. However, I forgot about them and left them in an area that received about 4 hours of direct sunlight in the afternoon. It was very green the day before. I hope it isn't dead. It's neighbors (sarracenia and dionaea) seemed unaffected. I can't remember whether this species was perennial. I live in the middle of California.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks pretty much totally dead. But you never know, it could come back from the roots. But I really wouldn't hold my breath about it.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is it? One of the scapes is still green. Where there is green there is hope. If it's a South African Drosera many of them come back due to extensive root systems.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I killed a spatulata by putting it outside in direct sun and cold nights, early this past spring... Looked identical to your photo when I brought it back inside under lights.. Its now completely grown back and is flowering ATM.. So i'm sure yours will prolly do the same if you save it now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fdfederation View Post
    Is my drosera dead?
    Looks like D. aliciae, or what is it?

The plant "above ground" is dead when the growing point in the middle of the rosette is completely dead.

But if it is D. aliciae, it will easily regrow new plantlets from the roots.
    The plant needs nothing but normal care for a living plants. Just remove the dead leaves in two weeks or so, and in a few more weeks there will be new small rosettes visible growing from the old root.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. I think it's "Pretty Rosette" and Google searches say it's South African. I'm going to follow Brie's example and hope it resurrects as a zombie plant.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never experienced it with 'Pretty Rosette' (fingers crossed I don't have to) but like it has been mentioned a lot of Drosera spp. will grow back from the roots. I've seen it myself with aliciae and binata. Just have to be patient.
    -Josh
    Grow list