User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I googled GA3 and found a Brian Barnes article in the ICPS:

Germination

There are a few options to ensure good seed germination. I've used the classic smoke treatment method, which requires lighting a small straw or paper fire on top of the seeds after they are sprinkled on the compost, then covering with a glass container to contain the smoke until it diminishes entirely after the fire goes out and the embers are smoldering. However, I've been most successful using a 24 hour soak with 10 PPM of gibberellic acid. I use petri dishes, with seeds folded up in a paper towel, but any dish or container will suffice. Make sure the paper towel is soaked really well with the GA3 solution. You'll notice a purple staining from the seeds on the paper after the solution is applied. After soaking for 24 hours, sprinkle the seeds on top of your growing media and make sure you keep the soil wet and in the 70F to 85F (20C to 30C) temperature range with good direct light for at least 8-10 hours a day. The main germination usually occurs within 2-4 weeks, with some taking longer. Without the above mentioned treatment options, I've seen seeds take up to a year to germinate!

And there you have it! I hope these tips that have helped me be successful will bring you much joy in cultivating these magnificent glistening gems of nature.

-- Brian Barnes
    It doesn't state whether it was 20% or 90% or....?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white spoon I have with the number 7 on it holds 0.054 gram.
    Hotrod30

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coincidentally, Cindy contacted me:

It should be 1g per 1 litre of water for 1000ppm. Any concentration between 500ppm and 1000ppm is fine for Byblis seeds so I usually buy a gram of GA3 and use it for a couple of years. Most of time, I dissolve just a bit of it in 10ml of water. I use the scoop that was used for sea monkey food. LOL

Oh yes, dissolve the GA3 first in a few drops of ethanol followed by water. GA3 is not too soluble in plain water.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

I just read your thread. Ignore my previous message 'cos my GA3 is 100%.
    We were "comparing apples to oranges".

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod30 View Post
    The white spoon I have with the number 7 on it holds 0.054 gram.
    LOL! The charts don't have that weight listed

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

I wonder what Butch is doing with his....

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my calculations:

for 1000ppm

GA3-90: 1g / 1000ml or 1mg / 1 ml
    GA3-20: 5g / 1000ml or 5mg / 1 ml

for 10ppm

GA3-90: 0.01g / 1000ml or 1mg / 100ml
    GA3-20: 0.05g / 1000ml or 5mg / 100ml

1000ml = 1L

So basically use 5x as much powder of GA3-20 vs GA3-90. GA3-90 is what's usually called 100%

Note: 10ppm is a very dilute solution. People consider 10ppm total dissolved solids in water a very safe level to water your plants with!
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .Looks to me like depending on the source, the vendor either sends you one of three different sized scoops or one of three different specific gravity/density of product (grain size maybe?).

Either way, you need a set of good scales IMHO

hmmm seems like Cindy uses the pinch of this and a pinch of that method.... must not be too critical

But Id borrow a good set of scales from someone... and weigh out what my scoop held and be done with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which ppm should I use?

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

If I know grams and mLs and ppm, then I don't have to worry about scoops, right?

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

I can do this at work on Monday.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would follow Cindys advice on 500-1000ppm

For she is the Byblis Guru

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

FWIW, United Nuclear has it in 1000ppm liquid solution:

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=143

(I imagine its more expensive this way, but convienent)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    If I know grams and mLs and ppm, then I don't have to worry about scoops, right?
    Correct. But while you're at it you may as well weigh a level measure of the GA3 from the scoop just either clear up or add to the mystery. You could also measure the volume of the scoop with the aid of a pipette.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast