User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes you wonder if GA3 is needed at all, especially at 10ppm. Maybe just soaking them for 24 hours in plain old water is just as effective.

BTW for those who want to know the correct pronunciation it is "gay-ho-eye", named after Russell Guho. See Lowrie and Conran's paper Byblis guehoi (Byblidaceae), a new species from the Kimberley, Western Australia Telopea 12(1) 23–29.

I would just go with Cindy's recommendations. Her pictures speak for themselves.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    They could very well all be correct...

But if Cindy told me to sing yankee doodle dandy while I applied the GA3, I'd be singing yankee doodle dandy

(just my humble opinion)

So Jim, your "1 gram of GA3 and dissolve it in 200 mL of purified water" will be perfect. And "50 mL centrifuge tubes...0.25 grams for each tube" will be brilliant! Anything a little less will work fine too...just don't go over 1000ppm for the Byblis seeds.

I think she is using 900ppm if i understood her reply to ya correctly
    I highly respect you, Cindy, Warren, Sheila, Brian Barnes, etc.... I'm just not at all sure who's got the right or best guidance. The one thing about Cindy is that she is using the 90 % GA3 and mine is the 20 %. So if I am understnding this corretly, my more dilute stuff should be the higher ppm? to compensate for being only 20 %?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand, but since yours is 20% if you mix one gram to 200ml wont that be 1000ppm?

Mixing something that is 1/5th the strength with only 1/5th the water should bring the final product it back to it's full strength me thinks.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    I understand, but since yours is 20% if you mix one gram to 200ml wont that be 1000ppm?

Mixing something that is 1/5th the strength with only 1/5th the water should bring the final product it back to it's full strength me thinks.
    Correct. The 20% GA3 has only 1/5th the GA3 by weight of the 100% GA3 powder. It has been "cut" with something probably to make it easier to dissolve in water. If the person selling the kits cuts it himself it could also be to stretch his profits. Who knows what it's been cut with.

So either use 5x the amount of GA3-20 powder or 5x less the amount of water to make an equivalent concentration of solution vs using the GA3-90 powder.

If you had enough seed you could try different ppm to see which appears to give the best results. It's difficult to gauge results from different growers.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 11-07-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

Using 1000ppm, the germination rates for the 'Goliath' x guehoi hybrid seeds varied. So far, I've got about 70% while a friend had about 25%. However, the B. guehoi seeds had a 100% germination rate for him.

If you would like to try different concentrations of GA3, I'll suggest B. guehoi seeds instead of the hybrid.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From "Brian's article on the ICPS website,

"However, I've been most successful using a 24 hour soak with 10 PPM of gibberellic acid. I use petri dishes, with seeds folded up in a paper towel, but any dish or container will suffice. Make sure the paper towel is soaked really well with the GA3 solution. You'll notice a purple staining from the seeds on the paper after the solution is applied. After soaking for 24 hours, sprinkle the seeds on top of your growing media and make sure you keep the soil wet and in the 70F to 85F (20C to 30C) temperature range with good direct light for at least 8-10 hours a day. The main germination usually occurs within 2-4 weeks, with some taking longer."

I use 1000ppm for 24hrs based on the recommendation from BCP but got my GA3 from rarexoticseeds. Both of their GA3 are 90%. Germination usually occurs within 2-5 days.

That is likely the difference between using 10ppm and 1000ppm i.e. speed. But does it affect the rate, as in the percentage?
    Last edited by Cindy; 11-08-2011 at 02:47 AM.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the article in my searches. Just trying to be careful not to make it too little or too much. who knows if the GA3 I have is still potent... thanks for your help with the "can of worms".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enough is enough! This is what I did at work: In light of the fact that the guidance I have been receiving has varied from as little as 10 ppm concentration of GA3 to 1000 ppm, I decided to go with what will be ~500 ppm. I weighed out ~0.125 grams of GA3 and mixed it with purified water. I sonicated it get it into solution. Of course there's no guarantee that the GA3 that I have is still potent...

FWIW, I weighed the scoop on the balance and 0.07451 grams, as opposed to the 0.076 from the chart.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast