What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

The B. 'Goliath' (mum) flowered at around 9 weeks old and B. guehoi (dad) flowered around 6 weeks old.

So far it's just new leaf after new leaf. No sign of a flower bud, yet.

(click on images for larger view)

B. 'Goliath' x guehoi - size started to increase exponentially :)
IMGP3958.jpg
IMGP3959.jpg

IMGP3961.jpg

IMGP3965.jpg

B. guehoi "B"
IMGP3962.jpg

These suckers were very fragile and kept flopping over when I'd feed or get water on them. Probably too cold for them. Should try them in summer.

Beautiful plants NaN. What do you feed them?

I feed them fruit flies or a diluted solution of fish emulsion fertilizer. A drop was enough to bring the plants down when they were smaller which is why the stems are bent on most of them. It must not rain during the seedling season.

I didn't notice this the other day but it looks like they are starting to branch:

B. 'Goliath' x guehoi
IMGP3988.jpg

IMGP3987.jpg

IMGP3986.jpg

Cindy, how does that compare to either the B. guehoi or B. 'Goliath'?

Looking better than mine. I've got one plant that's sorta growing horizontally!
002-7.jpg

Haha, nice Jim!

Not exactly a contest winner (working on getting more light without shocking it), but I do believe I have a non-leaf growth:

001-7.jpg

011-3.jpg

Might be starting to branch :-D

Getting closer.....

005-4.jpg

Woaw! What is that? B. guehoi or the hybrid? Do they need to "buzz" pollinated?

That's B. guehoi B x B. guehoi A. I have no idea if they need critters or a second plant or if hand pollination is all that is necessary. It'll be interesting...

Some information in this thread on the ICPS board. I'll have to look at the winter issue of CPN again, I don't think I read the Byblis article yet. There's a link to it on S. Hartmeyer's website in the ICPS thread.

Byblis filifolia is normally self-sterile and needs vibration to get it to release pollen.

I'm not certain about B. guehoi, but since Cindy was able to get seed she can tell us what to do. I believe I put a link to A. Lowrie's paper on B. guehoi earlier in this thread. I'll review that again to.

Edit: see this post for the link to Lowrie's paper.

What? Are you saying I need to get a vibrator?

Unknown. Tuning forks are the most common device but I've heard of people using electric toothbrushes to "buzz" the pollen loose.

I think we need to get Cindy to get back into the conversation.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

This morning:

004-7.jpg

I am back! LOL

The B. guehoi needs cross-pollination. I did it manually with just the tweezer. Flicked the anthers and got the pollen to fall onto a piece of white plastic. Then I transferred it onto a flower of another plant. The reward was loads of seeds and pollen allergy which I never suffered from before!

So please, use the electric toothbrush. And a mask!

LOL! I don't have an electric toothbrush... but I do have hay fever, especially in the spring. Looks like this flower is just going to have to be for pretty. Maybe down the road the other plant will flower simultaneously to a new flower from this plant.

Back