What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

FWIW, I weighed the scoop on the balance and 0.07451 grams, as opposed to the 0.076 from the chart.

Close enough for gubbermint work!

I saw this emerging from the B. guehoi pot. Too soon to tell and I couldn't get a clearer picture:

005-11.jpg

004-11.jpg

003-10.jpg

Might be sedge...

Okay... I think it's the real deal:

003-12.jpg
B. guehoi (2)

008-4.jpg
B. guehoi (2) & B. filolia (3)

Oddly enough, the B. liniflora has none so far.

Jim

1. B. guehoi - B. guehoi(A) x B. guehoi(B)
2. B. guehoi - B. guehoi(B) x B. guehoi(A)
3. should be: B. "Goliath" x B. guehoi(B)

Two different clone parents of B. guehoi

B. guehoi(A) - branching very early; non-overlapping petals
B. guehoi(B) - branching >30cm tall, less branches than A; overlapping petals

#1 just got sown, #2 in GA3 treatment.

How long did it take for them to germinate?

Last edited:
11/10

I did the 24 hour soak on the seeds and poured them through a paper towel. Then I sprayed them on to media in prepared pots and put them into the terrarium to do their thing… or not….

So it took 5 days (11/15) for the first seedling to emerge, from the packet labeled, B. guehoi. Another was visible on the 16th. The 3 from the packet labeled B. filolia emerged this morning (11/17).

So about the same number of days Cindy reports :)

All that fuss....

Ok,
#1 treated with 1000ppm GA3 sown 16 Nov 2011 - Germination 20 Nov 2011
#2 treated with 1000ppm GA3 sown 18 Nov 2011 - Germination 20 Nov 2011

I'll attempt photos in the morning

Last edited:
A young friend forgot about the seeds and left them in the solution for 48 hours...germination took 2-3 days.

Please post about the germination rates too!

It took about 5 days for germination. Funny thing, though, It all took place within 2 days and the 3 of the one and the 2 of the other is all that germinated. Maybe more, someday? I just took this picture of the oldest and most developed seedling:

009-8.jpg

50% germination on both at this point.

Nothing yet from the Byblis "Goliath" × guehoi "B"

Pictures not worth taking at this point.

I germinated them in peat/sand mix. When's the best time to transplant them?

Not the best picture in the world but the best I can come up with at the moment:
011-3.jpg

Byblis "Goliath" × guehoi "B"

I think she meant 1/4" - 1/2" inches.

Grr just flooded my pot of 'Goliath' x seeds. Guess I'll let it dry down and try another batch.

Ok so far germination:
5/8 of #1 (A x B)
4/8 of #2 (B x A)

I started another batch of the B. 'Goliath' x guehoi with 500ppm solution (soaking now).

cups were on a heating pad too which might lowered the germination ratio. Lets see what they look like at 30 days.

Hmm...the 3 parent guehoi plants were from 5 seeds...that makes the germination 60%.

How hot is your heating pad, Warren? I usually place the container of seeds just under the T5 lights, about 2" away. My ambient temperatures are in the 80s.

The pad is on the thermostat control but doesn't show the temperatures. I measured the soil temperature at about 85°F. I put them in my petiolaris tank to germinate. Between the pad and lights are temp is usually around 90°F during the day.

Since B. guehoi is found in the same latitudes as most of the petiolaris sundews I figured they'd be happy with the same temperatures.

After I transplant this first batch I'll try another with 500ppm. 1000ppm might be too much.

Best looking seedling:

001-24.jpg

Ok, even though I flooded the B. 'Goliath' x guehoi seeds they managed to germinate in about 5 days.

So far 6/8 using 1000ppm GA3 treatment sown 11/19/11 - germination 11/24/11

Back