What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

I might have a hard time of having two plants of either A or B flowering much less at the same. I might get one of A and one of B flowering at the same time. I wonder if the pollen can be stored for a few weeks?

Not open all the way, yet:

I was wondering the same thing.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

021.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Pollen storage
Only one way to find out :)

023.jpg

Last picture:

003-7.jpg

Get a tuning fork or catch a bee and put it against the anthers to save some pollen.

make tip cuttings and have the main plant send out two laterals and triple the chances that one or more stems has a flower. reminds me I need to sow my seeds soon. was waiting for things to warm up here...

make tip cuttings and have the main plant send out two laterals and triple the chances that one or more stems has a flower. reminds me I need to sow my seeds soon. was waiting for things to warm up here...

I'll have to try that. In the meantime, at another location of the main stem, a second flower bud has emerged. I just wish the other mature, viable plant would get its act together! They are the same age...

002-9.jpg

Pop an antihistamine before you start collecting the pollen. Seriously, just reading this thread is getting my nose itchy and eyes watery! I am definitely getting a mask next season when the flowers of the new set of plants are blooming.

I am beginning the miss the smaller self-pollinating B. liniflora...

B. 'Goliath' x guehoi
IMGP4481.jpg

I don't see the pulvinus as seen by Brian Barnes and Siggi Hartmeyer on B. 'Goliath'
IMGP4482.jpg

There's a lot of variability among the plants:

(same plant as above, no branching)
IMGP4490.jpg

Plenty of branching on this one:
IMGP4492.jpg

IMGP4485.jpg

No branching on these:
IMGP4501.jpg
IMGP4499.jpg

(two plants)
IMGP4500.jpg

====================================

B. guehoi - a lot of variability here too
"A" out of 8 only 2 survivors, this one went downhill recently
IMGP4494.jpg

IMGP4493.jpg

"B" again only two survivors
IMGP4496.jpg

This is the only one of the B. guehoi to show any branching so far.
IMGP4495.jpg

Wowser powser and congratulations!

B. 'Goliath' x guehoi

Almost, maybe for Easter Sunday
IMGP4580.jpg

there are at least 3 more buds on the same plant (one behind the curled leaf)
IMGP4581.jpg

IMGP4585.jpg

Second, much small plant, no branching as of yet
IMGP4586.jpg

Now I can see why Hollywood and artists usually depict the flower as the trapping/eating part of "man-eating" plants.

I wonder if these hybrids are fertile and self-compatible. Perhaps not self-pollinating though.

My flower keeps on opening up every morning. Maybe we should save pollen?

That might be a plan. I have to find that battery powered toothbrush I have somewhere. The rechargeable ones died not to long ago. I wonder if a cell phone set on vibrate would do the trick? But then if you are allergic to the pollen you may not want to put a pollen covered cell phone anywhere near your mouth and nose.

LOL! I'm allergic to pollen but would gladly risk a sneezing attack! I just don't own an electric toothbrush. I'm not sure I have anything that vibrates. i could always butcher the flower, like Mexican ping flower....

You can probably rupture the pollen sacs by rubbing the anthers vigorously with a watercolor paint brush.

I used a pair of tweezers and flicked the anthers a few times. The pollen would then land on the petals. That's how my pollen allergy started...

In your conditions, it should be easier as the RH is lower. I couldn't get much pollen from the B52's since the RH was above 85% during the past few weeks.

The one flower just closed up for good, yesterday.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

This is the goilath x guehoi:

004-10.jpg

Last edited:
Both plants now have flower buds emerging. There may be hope yet.

Back