What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

Excellent work and photos! That fruit should produce viable seeds!

Btw, how do you take the shots of the pulvini i.e. black background?

Those were taken with a flash. If the background is far enough away and outside the range of the flash it appears black.

This one monster is showing off its 'Goliath' heritage. Currently 23" (58.4 cm) tall:
IMGP6817copy.jpg

Man, I can't ever get my Byblis to grow worth anything....now I'm jealous.

A couple pods cracked open finally. On a 1mm grid:
IMGP6991copy.jpg

IMGP7000copy.jpg

IMGP6999.jpg

Last edited:
B. 'Goliath' × guehoi - it seems even the petals have glands on them
IMGP7187-1.jpg

Last edited:
'Had to open the photo link to see the full-sized photo. The glands on the petals look cool. I've never seen that before.

Last edited:
IMGP7150copy.jpg

IMGP7179copy.jpg

It's night time now so I can't take a good look. But from what I see from the photos I have of the flowers, all the tropical species have glands on the petals!

WOW! I have never noticed that before! :0o:

I never noticed the glands until I put the images up on the monitor. Too fine to see with my old eyes.

I must be old too! Tried looking for them under direct sunlight but saw none this afternoon! LMAO

Honestly, I think the tentacles on the petals are very fine. The ones near the stamen are quite visible.

Yes, I can not see the glands without the aid of a magnifier. The ones on the edges and back of the petals are larger and somewhat easier to see. Backlighting helps. The glands on the inside (purple) side of the petals are very fine. I wouldn't be able to spot them at all even with 12x magnification if they didn't catch the light.

Comparison of B. guehoi (left) vs presumed hybrid of B. 'Goliath' × guehoi, magnification roughly the same.
flowers.jpg

This one particular hybrid start branching very early, it looks like three plants in the pot - I had to bury the original stem because it was very week. I also tore away some of the roots which had formed a considerable spiral at the bottom of the pot. I wasn't sure it would survive given the reputation Byblis has for not appreciating root disturbance.
IMGP7527.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so I treated some of the 2nd generation seed 1000 ppm GA3 for 24 hours. Germination has begun 3 days later. Pictures to follow when there is something worth taking pictures of.

Nothing exciting but a couple seedlings:
IMGP7843.jpg

That's exciting!

Hmmm, I found a seedling in the pot of one of the mother plants. Perhaps GA3 treatment isn't needed. I will have to test this out.

2nd Gen seed germination up: 10 out of 10 seeds germinated. I'd say they are as viable as the first generation seeds.

Back