Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: D lusitanicum new start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post
    You're off to a great start with those two seedlings Tony.

Do you put any compost or soil/peat into your Drosphyllum media mix or do you go with an all mineral mix for this species?

dvg
    A little yes. The small pot is just silica sand and peat. Primarily sand though as you can probably see from the photos. The large pot is a mix of chunky perlite, vermiculite, aquatic plant soil, sand, and a little peat. I wanted to lighten it up a bit and use coarser ingredients to help keep it draining well since it is a pretty large pot. The chunky perlite and vermiculite help in that regard. The dimensions for the large pot are 8.25" wide at the top and 8" deep.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad you lost that last Drosophyllum, it was beautiful! I'm getting some Droso seeds in a day or so and am excited to give it a second try. My first Droso. got uprooted by a bird on my balcony this last summer

That's the same method I used for girmination before. Seems to work well.

Do you keep the plants under that floodlight all year, or only part of the time (like durring winter)?
    Good growing!
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    Too bad you lost that last Drosophyllum, it was beautiful! I'm getting some Droso seeds in a day or so and am excited to give it a second try. My first Droso. got uprooted by a bird on my balcony this last summer

That's the same method I used for girmination before. Seems to work well.

Do you keep the plants under that floodlight all year, or only part of the time (like durring winter)?
    Good growing!
    Sorry to hear about your plant! Nasty bird ;x Keep us posted on how your new batch goes.
    The plant had been outside all Summer and this was a quick setup to try and keep it going through the Winter. It worked well in the end and the plant went back outside the following Spring. I may contemplate keeping one indoors but think I would need a better light system. Maybe a much larger CFL or small MH light? I was also looking at those 1800 lumen Cree LED spotlights but not sure if the wavelengths would be good. Might make an interesting experiment. Those bulbs are pretty pricey though ;/

oh when oh when are the plasma bulbs going to be available....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the most amazing CPs at catching bugs. They are literally bug magnets.
    I disagree. While they do catch insects, d. indica is much better at it. I'm kindof disappointed, LOL!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cute seedlings, makes me want to germinate some more next year in peat pots and then transfer to 12" terra cotta. I wonder if they would germinate outside in the spring here after danger of frost is gone? May not be warm enough though. If I get seed from mine, I may try it.

Good luck with the seedlings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked at your thread from earlier this year SD. Any updated photos? looked like a small forest you had going there! Did you notice any fragrance during the day? Mine smelled like honey when sitting in the sun.

I always found them easier to start indoors where I can control the light and temperature and moisture level much better. Normally I just start them in the final pot they are planning to stay in but I thought it would be interesting to see how one did first in a small pot and then moving it. I think I will have to wait a while though until the root system is large enough to keep the mix intact around the roots, since I didn't use a peat pot and will have to remove it from the plastic pot.

Here is an update of both plants 8 days past the previous photos. Both have finished unrolling their first nonseed leaf and are working on their second along with a third just starting to form down in the center. So far so good. The new leaves have grown about twice as large as the previous which is about what you want to see for a healthy seedling and the growth is nice and tight (ie not elongating) down at the bottom. I am still being very careful on watering.. They will eventually form a bit of a woody outside at the base, which I think helps protect them from disease, but it takes a long time.

Plant in the large pot that was moved to it's current location just as the seed was starting to poke a root out. That is the 26w CFL floodlight at the top, about a half inch from the tip of the tallest leaf.

Plant in the small pot

Both plants have been busy catching small flying insects, mostly attracted to the light at night but hey.. whatever works! There is even a mosquito stuck to the plant in the first picture.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Tony. I have a question about my droso, Its has been growing great and fast since I got it in august but it hasnt been getting any larger, I suspect that the peat pot was to small when I transplanted it and the pot still hasnt decomposed yet. Do you know what could be happening?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well based on the information you provide if I had to take a guess it would be a lack of feeding or insuficient light? Or a combination of both..
    I doubt it is pot size. I had a very large multiple growth plant in a fairly small pot.

My experience with rapidly growing plants is they need a steady supply of nutrients and proper light to maximize growth. Without one or the other they will not perform to their maximum potential. Any other info on size, leaf color, lighting, feeding, or photos you can post?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast