Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: D lusitanicum new start

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say the leaves are 4-6", the leafs are green and the glands are light red, I just moved it from my windowsill that gets 4 hours of direct light to next to my heli tank so it is like 6 inches from a 55 watt cfl, I feed it once in a while the gnats that get killed from the lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm guess it's a combination of both, but if the new growth looks healthy and the plant isn't stretching for light then I am not sure I would be overly concerned. It is difficult to grow them indoors as it is.. so just keeping it healthy through the Winter would in my book be a worthwhile goal and not worrying so much about size. Next Spring you can find a new location for it where it can get as much sun as possible and hopefully catch more insects. Will you be able to put it outside for the Summer in a nice sunny location?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, in the summer it does great on my roof, it gets full sun all day. I had to bring it in because its really windy and cold now. Thanks Tony!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man these sure are cool. Like the big daddy of the filiformis world. Would love to give these a shot someday. How do they fair in HL conditions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mass, they probably wouldnt do to good. They like deserty conditions, hot, and really bright light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I think they would do well in HL conditions. They enjoy cool weather and can even take a light frost. They are Mediterranean, not tropical.
    Gary Kong in SF, who gets seed from his plants every year, recommends sowing in the Fall with temps between 40-60. The ICPS site also says germination seems to occur better in cool temps.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could take more photos. I have a few nice plants left. I had a hard time keeping them alive during the summer for some reason.

I would either keep them too dry or too wet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah lets see it's been about 16 days since the last update and roughly 6 weeks since they have germinated
    The plant in the small pot is suffering and may be on it's way out. A bit of a bummer since survival is usually pretty good for me once they get past the first week or two. The base is brownish, the growth is weak and the color is not right.. although it is still growing. I have been watering carefully and trying to keep it on the drier side. Today I gave it a systemic fungicide drench. The fungicide might kill it but without it I suspect it will continue to decline. So if the fungicide doesn't nail the coffin closed there is a chance it might recover.

Photos in reverse order today starting with the plant in the small pot:
    You can see the dried oldest leaves and the yellowing tips of the next set, as well as the weak new leaf unfurling.

close up of the brownish color at the base.

Now for the plant in the big pot which is still chugging along nicely (fingers crossed)
    The differences between the two should be quite obvious..

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast