Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: D lusitanicum new start

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it be they just do better in bigger pots and cooler temperatures to start? The ones I started in big pots did fine, the ones in little pots perished by 3 weeks after germination, and the seeds in peat pots did not even germinate. The ones in the small pots and peat pots were in the house under lights with temps in the 70s. The ones in the big pots were next to a south-facing window in the garage with cool temperatures, not under lights, and not only germinated the fastest at 14-16 days, but thrived to adulthood (all sown in December). Based on that experience, I am going to start more seed out in the garage where the temps are mid 40s to upper 50s, 10" and 12" terra cotta pots, and no supplemental lighting until a few inches tall.

Looking at your pictures, I think there is hope for the sad ones with what you are doing. When mine failed, it was almost overnight and they looked a lot worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping my fingers crossed! It is different than the usual black mushy rot of instadeath they are highly prone to getting hit with when very young.

They are both side by side under the same lights so I don't think it is a temperature thing. I have had to water the smaller pot more frequently, but on the same token it dries alot faster too so I don't really know if it can be boiled down to small vs large pot at this stage of the game.

We shall see! I think I have a few seed left so if this one goes belly up I may try to start another so I can have more than one. Now if I could just get one to flower for me so I can restock my seed supply!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought, but do you think the one turning yellow could be suffering from nitrogen burn from catching too many insects? I know that leaves turning yellow starting at the tips can be a symptom of that. The sickly looking plant does have many more insects on it than the green one. I think the same thing happened to my plant when I put it next to a dead deer to catch some flies - it ended up catching a lot more than I expected, to the point where almost every leaf had like 10+ flies on it. After that, the plant seemed to be in a hurry to replace those leaves. Even the ones near the center of the plant turned yellow beginning from the tips and died, and were replaced by short, thick, dark green leaves that looked really weird (like it didn't want to catch insects). The plant's growth was always very vigorous though, so I never worried about the entire plant dying. After a month or so all the short leaves grew out and were replaced by normal growth, and now the plant looks better than ever.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Keeping my fingers crossed! It is different than the usual black mushy rot of instadeath they are highly prone to getting hit with when very young.

They are both side by side under the same lights so I don't think it is a temperature thing. I have had to water the smaller pot more frequently, but on the same token it dries alot faster too so I don't really know if it can be boiled down to small vs large pot at this stage of the game.

We shall see! I think I have a few seed left so if this one goes belly up I may try to start another so I can have more than one. Now if I could just get one to flower for me so I can restock my seed supply!
    Very interesting. I did not think it looked like the typical rot either, so may be fine. I have not seen what Natalie saw on mine when they were choked with bugs as mine were large when catching that many, but certainly something to consider. Keep us posted as this is a good learning experience trying to figure these things out. I am hoping mine flowers next year. If yours don't and mine do, I will send you some seed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen them overloaded with insects of all sorts. Did not see a tip burn effect either. But I cant get them grow past a certain point so maybe they are eating them selves to death? I have suspected that they might have issues with intense UV light causing grow proliferation and side shoots to all start growing. My plants have all ended up way more bushy than most I have seen . Will test this spring inside greenhouse to block UV....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting... That's a lot of insects! I just mentioned the nitrogen thing because I remembered in this popular article about Drosophyllum, it's stated that that plants in the wild typically only have a fraction of the insects attached to them as do cultivated plants. And that seems to be correct, judging by the photos in the article - it's hard to spot a single insect on the leaves of those plants! I'd say that Drosophyllum is the most effective at catching insects of all carnivorous plants (IMO), and perhaps that is an adaptation to living in an area where insect abundance is relatively low, so they need to catch whatever they can. However, for those of us who grow plants in areas where there are tons of insects, the leaves become smothered. Now whether that's beneficial or deleterious to the plant's health, I'm not sure... But when my plant got covered in insects, it certainly acted like it had had enough to eat for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh! Interesting discussion. Nice pics too Mach. Mine would never be that loaded with prey but it was certainly catching plenty of food and during its first Summer several side growths broke dormancy. I figured it just meant it was happy and able to support several active growth points. I don't recall any issues though with leaves dying off or changing morphology.

Hard to dismiss the brownish color at the base of the sickly seedling, odds are whatever is causing it is also causing the premature leaf death. Since it seems to have affected the outer leaves first, whatever it is must be working it's way inward. Hopefully the fungicide halts it without causing any damage. Will keep you posted.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any idea the daytime temperatures theyre getting under those spot lights?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast