Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: D lusitanicum new start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewspaperFort View Post
    any idea the daytime temperatures theyre getting under those spot lights?
    Hmm well I just checked with my thermometer. Room temperature is about 65 these days. The thermometer was reading about 75 an inch from the bulb. It could be a little warmer than that as it feels warmer than room temperature but it's not uncomfortable in the slightest to keep my hand there. It's only a 26w spiral CFL
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update time! (oops couple of the files are a bit larger than I thought they were.)

I made some adjustments in the last couple weeks:
    I have had to move the lights higher as the plants have grown. I also swapped the lights around. The larger plant in the larger pot now has the 42w CFL light over it. The 26w CFL spotlight is a bit weak and I had to move the light higher as the tips of a few leaves were bumping into the glass and browning at that point. I moved the 26w CFL to the plant that was suffering. It's a little cooler since it doesn't have any foil around the fixture, just incase one of the problems was heat buildup close to the top of the plant. I also gave the smaller plant a fungicide drench and have been careful about watering and keeping it on the dry side incase it was a root rot issue. Watering just a bit from the bottom until I could just see a tad bit of moisture (color change) in the peat bits at the surface.

So here are the updates after 2 weeks since the last photos.
    Small plant first..
    Overall shot. Looking healthier and it has resumed growth and the new leaves are a nice green color and are increasing in size again. The longest leaf is 7cm and has a tiny bit more to unroll.

Close up of the base. You can see the improvement in color as well as the much better looking new leaves, and the continued production of new leaves in the center. Still not entirely sure if it was a pathogen or environmental .. or both?

The plant in the larger pot. Largest leaf about 15cm now. You can see the tips of a few leaves that got fried against the glass.. Rather have a few tips get a bit toasted though than not give the plant enough light. The plant is also large enough to hang onto houseflies all on it's own. They grow up so fast /sniffle

Close up of the base. Just to note the increasing rapidity of leaf production. It's interesting when they first grow the newest leaves don't start unrolling into the previous leaf is nearly all extended. As they gain size the leaves emerge at a quicker and quicker pace. So much so that each subsequent leaf is only slightly behind the previous leaf. Note the leaf only a few cm. unrolled so far and 2 new leaves now emerging one right behind the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update Tony.

That's interesting how the leaves on the more mature plant has picked up in production speed, basically just putting up new growth before the previous leaves are completely unfurled.

And that was a nice save there on the smaller specimen.

I notice that you have that one growing in a smaller plastic pot at the moment.

Do you have a plan for how you will move it into a larger pot without disturbing the roots too much, or is that a concern for you?

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post
    Thanks for the update Tony.

I notice that you have that one growing in a smaller plastic pot at the moment.

Do you have a plan for how you will move it into a larger pot without disturbing the roots too much, or is that a concern for you?

dvg
    I DO!!! I DO have a plan! hehe
    Well it was sort of a suprise that both seeds germinated. I would have been happy with just one and was figuring that there would be a good chance neither would. In the past I would just plant the seed in their pot they would stay in but was intrigued by people actually getting them through the mail and planting them into bigger pots. Granted the peat pots which would reduce replanting difficulties. There was also a post somewhere on repotting a mature plant and it seemed to work.. SO I figured I would try starting my seed in a small pot and let a seedling grow there and try repotting later. Much to my surprise though both sprouted and I was left with a bit of a dilemma.. Letting both grow in a small pot was a bad plan I figured. That left me with moving one sprouting seed to the large pot that was going to be used later and leaving the other to go with my original plan for the small pot, OR move both sprouting seeds to big pots. Past experience has always met with bad results trying to move a newly sprouting seed.. any damage to the root tip is usually death for the tiny sprout. So I decided to move one seed to the large pot and leave the other in the small pot to deal with later as I had originally intended.
    Fortunately they did not sprout at the same time. The first one to sprout I left alone and fortunately I spotted the other sprouting just as it was starting to emerge. I moved it very quickly to the big pot before the root could extend much beyond the end of the seed and fortunately it settled in as if nothing happened.

As for my original plan and the small pot. My intention was to let a single plant grow there and let it stay for a while so that the roots hold the sand/peat mix fairly securely. I think it can be moved at that point carefully. The biggest danger I suspect is from doing it too soon and having the soil mix fall apart and break roots and expose them. It will be a bit of an experiment to see how it all works out! Mostly likely it will be a few months yet before I try to move it to a larger pot. I am thinking early Spring would be good to let it adjust and settle in and make some new roots before the Summer heat starts to build.

Tony

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for my original plan and the small pot. My intention was to let a single plant grow there and let it stay for a while so that the roots hold the sand/peat mix fairly securely. I think it can be moved at that point carefully. The biggest danger I suspect is from doing it too soon and having the soil mix fall apart and break roots and expose them.
    I pressed my luck one too many times doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    As for my original plan and the small pot. My intention was to let a single plant grow there and let it stay for a while so that the roots hold the sand/peat mix fairly securely. I think it can be moved at that point carefully. The biggest danger I suspect is from doing it too soon and having the soil mix fall apart and break roots and expose them.

I pressed my luck one too many times doing that.

I've just used small peat pots to grow the seedlings, which you can then transplant dirrectly into the larger pot and the peat pot will disintegrate. This allows you to just totally bypass that problem.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due for an update! Lets see.. my 42w bulb blew, so I had to switch back to both 26w cfl. Rather than replace the one bulb which was a tad big for the clip on reflector light. I decided a new setup was in order. I also would like to keep one indoors permenantly. We get alot of .... bugs... since we live in the middle of nowhere and during the warmer months they wouldn't stand a chance with one of these guys sitting on the counter with the light shining down! Natural pest control at it's finest ;>
    Long story short, the 42w cfl isn't really strong enough for a full time resident Droso indoors, unless it's smack on top of the leaf tips.

I am going to give this a whirl and see how it goes.

new bulb: 105w, 5000k 6600 lumens

Reflector for the bulb: (big enough that the bulb is all inside the reflector with some room to spare)

It's a simple set up.. the reflector just slips over the top of the bulb and with the slightly smaller opening at the top of the reflector it fits over and sits on the bulb. You then screw the bulb into whatever fixture you want and let it hang down. I tested it with the clip on fixture and it seemed to work fine. I just need something to clip onto now that is the right height...
    (there are slots in the bulb housing and in the reflector so I guess you could put some sort of clip in there if you wanted to secure the two more snuggly)

I actually ended up buying 2 bulbs and 2 reflectors, unsure if one would be enough for both plants. Guess we will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plants are going to like the substantial increase in light, in going from 2800 lumens using the 42 watt cfl up to 6600 lumens, Tony.

Have your plants grown quite a bit more for you since your last update?

dvg

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast