Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: D lusitanicum new start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima View Post
    Looking awesome richjam!
    How old is your seedling approximately ? Looking at you guys' plants; yours seem to be taller while mine are getting into a stubby claw shape. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if it has something to do with the potting mix...
    Thanks
    I think mine germinated in late November, 2011. Right now mine only gets artificial light, which might be making it grow longer leaves (?). Don't know what to tell you. How moist do you keep your soill? Mine is really on the dry side. It looks like your soil also has a lot of peat in it for Drosophyllum. I don't know if that is the problem or not.

I'm impressed by the number of seed you were able to get to germinate though. Maybe mine aren't the best seed, or they are older seed.

Do you plan on repoting yours though? From what it looks like they are in a really small pot (for a Drosophyllum) and probably won't do the best in the long term. They turn into a really large plant and need a bigger pot.

For this problem I plant one seed per pot, and use small peat pots that can then be dirrectly transplanted into the larger pot once the plant has some decent size. This allows you to transplant without root disturbance, and allows you to save space as well while germinating the seed. Just a suggestion for the future.

I think your plants look good though so far
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that's really helpful to know. My earliest seedlings are from early December, I have 15+ in total divided in different pots. The mix is peat, perlite and vermiculite, all I could get over here. I tried to keep peat in lesser amount but may have failed Hoping they won't mind as it's too late now.
    I've repotted them a few weeks ago to 14" pots. Obviously I was a little late as the oldest had a single root which had already started circling around inside.
    Peat pots are definitely handy. I mostly use bigger thin pots nowadays, just cut the bottom half and move as a whole. Using plastic for this bunch but others will go into clay pots, hoping everyone will make it...So many experiments, it's a wonder they are still alive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I wonder if they'd do 70-75 degrees daytime temps, 67 or so degrees at night with tons of sun and 75% humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that's really helpful to know. My earliest seedlings are from early December, I have 15+ in total divided in different pots. The mix is peat, perlite and vermiculite, all I could get over here. I tried to keep peat in lesser amount but may have failed Hoping they won't mind as it's too late now.
    I've repotted them a few weeks ago to 14" pots. Obviously I was a little late as the oldest had a single root which had already started circling around inside.
    Peat pots are definitely handy. I mostly use bigger thin pots nowadays, just cut the bottom half and move as a whole. Using plastic for this bunch but others will go into clay pots, hoping everyone will make it...So many experiments, it's a wonder they are still alive
    Now THOSE are good sized pots! I was previously refering to to picture you posted on Jan 30th with them in a small pot, but it looks like you have that figured out. Keep it up Again, I think they look good overall, but I see what you're saying about them being a little on the small side. How much sun do they get each day? Maybe they could use more light? I don't know, just throwing ideas out since you asked.

Truthfully, mine is in a fairly small pot for Drosophyllum. It is the smallest size that experienced growers said could work (6 inch clay pot, i believe). I've just got limmited space and soil, so I hope it will be big enough at least to carry it to flowering size. We'll see.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

...Inspired by your thread, I've fixed a small bulb above 3 of my girls and over a week in, there's a quite obvious increase in their vigour and size.
    ...for now, I have 12 seedlings and 3 of them are situated under lights just in case.
    Looks like you've already considered light. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to read through the whole thread
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, any updates on your plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine still basically looks the same, but doing well. Coming along slowly
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine as well. Still on the short side but growing pretty fast. I am wondering if I should cull a few because I have about 20...Really hurting for space, wish I had a greenhouse or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took some photos today. The little guy that has been struggling is still struggling but hasn't kicked the bucket.. yet. Both plants have been outside most days now for the past month or so. I have pulled them inside on some nights if it was going to get chilly and wet. Or if we were having a string of rainy days and they would be better off not getting torrentially soaked day after day with no sun.
    I did just repot the small one into a large pot as it looked sad and decided to take action to either help it turn around or uh.. finish it off. Despite the current size there were roots wrapping around the bottom of the 3" deep pot. SO maybe that is an indication that it needs root room. Time will tell if it survives long enough settle into the new pot.

The larger plant that has been in the same pot from the start. Sadly no buds despite my trying to give it a winter light period for a while. You can see the pot in the photo that now houses the small struggling one.

Measurement of the leaves. (note the stem is about an inch long now so deduct that from the measurement, roughly)

Interesting to note that nearly every leaf axil has little sprouts that send out small leaves. Some seem to appear to send out larger and larger leaves so guess it's on it's way to becoming a shrubbery!

The small struggling guy..
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast